Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Why does Ethernet not work when importing HDP 2.5 TP sandbox via the command line, but it works fine when using the GUI to import?

Highlighted

Why does Ethernet not work when importing HDP 2.5 TP sandbox via the command line, but it works fine when using the GUI to import?

I have reproduced this multiple times and I'm not sure what the issue is. It is most likely a VirtualBox problem.

I downloaded the HDP 2.5 Technical Preview sandbox. When I use the VirtualBox gui to import the OVA file, everything works fine. However, whenever I import the OVA file via the VBoxManage command line tool, ethernet does not work in the sandbox. When I compare the network settings between the two virtual machines, they appear identical.

Tested with the following:

• Mac OS X 10.11.5
  • VirtualBox 5.0.24

Here is the command I use to import the OVA file:

$ VBoxManage import ./"Hortonworks Sandbox with HDP 2.5 Technical Preview.ova" --vsys 0 --eula accept

This is the output of that command:

0%...10%...20%...30%...40%...50%...60%...70%...80%...90%...100%
Interpreting /Users/username/Downloads/VirtualBox Appliances/./Hortonworks Sandbox with HDP 2.5 Technical Preview.ova...
OK.
Disks:
vmdisk1	52428800000	-1	http://www.vmware.com/interfaces/specifications/vmdk.html#streamOptimized	Hortonworks Sandbox with HDP 2.5 Technical Preview-disk1.vmdk	-1	-1

Virtual system 0:
0: Suggested OS type: "RedHat_64"
    (change with "--vsys 0 --ostype <type>"; use "list ostypes" to list all possible values)
1: Suggested VM name "Hortonworks Sandbox with HDP 2.5 Technical Preview"
    (change with "--vsys 0 --vmname <name>")
2: Number of CPUs: 4
    (change with "--vsys 0 --cpus <n>")
3: Guest memory: 8192 MB
    (change with "--vsys 0 --memory <MB>")
4: USB controller
    (disable with "--vsys 0 --unit 4 --ignore")
5: Network adapter: orig NAT, config 2, extra slot=0;type=NAT
6: IDE controller, type PIIX4
    (disable with "--vsys 0 --unit 6 --ignore")
7: IDE controller, type PIIX4
    (disable with "--vsys 0 --unit 7 --ignore")
8: Hard disk image: source image=Hortonworks Sandbox with HDP 2.5 Technical Preview-disk1.vmdk, target path=/Users/username/VirtualBox VMs/Hortonworks Sandbox with HDP 2.5 Technical Preview/Hortonworks Sandbox with HDP 2.5 Technical Preview-disk1.vmdk, controller=6;channel=0
    (change target path with "--vsys 0 --unit 8 --disk path";
    disable with "--vsys 0 --unit 8 --ignore")
0%...10%...20%...30%...40%...50%...60%...70%...80%...90%...100%
Successfully imported the appliance.

Does anyone have any ideas?