Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

With Hive View what causes: "H100 Unable to submit statement show databases like '*': org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException: java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe"?

Super Collaborator

This an simlar exception come up with Hive View. Also see:

https://hortonworks.com/community/forums/topic/amabari-hive-view-error-broken-pipe/ How to resolve and best debug such an issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor
@hkropp

Details from support:

It should be fixed in Ambari 2.2

also

We think what probably happened was the connection was open for too long which is why it said there was a broken pipe when you tried to access the hive view. When you did a restart to opened a fresh connection and was able to connect. Probably just a refresh of the ambari page would have reset the connection as well.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

Is the cluster kerberized?

There is an open intermittent issue where Hive View fails handling submission of multiple statements in a single query/submit. Is that the case here?

Super Collaborator

Deepash, can you provide us with a link to the open issue?

Rising Star

Is there any bug filed? There are quite some users are hitting this issue I think.

There is an internal bug that is tracking this at Hortonworks.

New Contributor

Do you have more info on this internal bug? Restarting Hive and Ambari-Server are temporary fixes, but need a permanent one.

If the cluster is kerberized, please be aware that we are currently facing some issues with Hive and HDFS view in secure environments.

"Hive and file view are not working after enabling kerberos." (Internally tracked via EAR-2412)

Jonas

Rising Star

I'm seeing this too. Haven't found any JIRA on this.

Super Collaborator

Hi, I can't remember how or if I solved it 😉 but could you try to configure the Hive View with manual configuration instead of the option to get the cluster configuration? Let me know if this works. Thanks!