Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Yarn cannot start AM on some nodes after update

Yarn cannot start AM on some nodes after update

New Contributor

Hello. I've got a problem after updating system to HDP 2.6.5. I have a cluster with three nodes and trying to start a simple application with python:

from pyspark import SparkConf, SparkContext 
from pyspark.sql import SQLContext, SparkSession, HiveContext 
sc = SparkContext() 
print sc.master

with command

/usr/bin/spark-submit \
    --master yarn \
    --deploy-mode cluster \
    --name 'test script' \
    /opt/test/youdmp/test/script.py

It says

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.hadoop.yarn.proto.YarnProtos$ResourceProtoOrBuilder.getMemory()I
	at org.apache.hadoop.yarn.api.records.impl.pb.ResourcePBImpl.getMemory(ResourcePBImpl.java:61)
	at org.apache.spark.deploy.yarn.Client.verifyClusterResources(Client.scala:313)
	at org.apache.spark.deploy.yarn.Client.submitApplication(Client.scala:166)
	at org.apache.spark.deploy.yarn.Client.run(Client.scala:1217)
	at org.apache.spark.deploy.yarn.YarnClusterApplication.start(Client.scala:1585)
	at org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmit$.org$apache$spark$deploy$SparkSubmit$$runMain(SparkSubmit.scala:906)
	at org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmit$.doRunMain$1(SparkSubmit.scala:197)
	at org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmit$.submit(SparkSubmit.scala:227)
	at org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmit$.main(SparkSubmit.scala:136)
	at org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmit.main(SparkSubmit.scala)

I can see such situation when application starts on either on one or another node. But the third node works.

And client deploy-mode says:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/test/youdmp/test/script.py", line 3, in <module>
    sc = SparkContext()
  File "/usr/hdp/current/spark2-client/python/lib/pyspark.zip/pyspark/context.py", line 119, in __init__
  File "/usr/hdp/current/spark2-client/python/lib/pyspark.zip/pyspark/context.py", line 181, in _do_init
  File "/usr/hdp/current/spark2-client/python/lib/pyspark.zip/pyspark/context.py", line 279, in _initialize_context
  File "/usr/hdp/current/spark2-client/python/lib/py4j-0.10.6-src.zip/py4j/java_gateway.py", line 1428, in __call__
  File "/usr/hdp/current/spark2-client/python/lib/py4j-0.10.6-src.zip/py4j/protocol.py", line 320, in get_return_value
py4j.protocol.Py4JJavaError: An error occurred while calling None.org.apache.spark.api.java.JavaSparkContext.
: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.hadoop.yarn.proto.YarnProtos$ResourceProtoOrBuilder.getMemory()I
	at org.apache.hadoop.yarn.api.records.impl.pb.ResourcePBImpl.getMemory(ResourcePBImpl.java:61)
	at org.apache.spark.deploy.yarn.Client.verifyClusterResources(Client.scala:313)
	at org.apache.spark.deploy.yarn.Client.submitApplication(Client.scala:166)
	at org.apache.spark.scheduler.cluster.YarnClientSchedulerBackend.start(YarnClientSchedulerBackend.scala:57)
	at org.apache.spark.scheduler.TaskSchedulerImpl.start(TaskSchedulerImpl.scala:164)
	at org.apache.spark.SparkContext.<init>(SparkContext.scala:500)
	at org.apache.spark.api.java.JavaSparkContext.<init>(JavaSparkContext.scala:58)
	at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
	at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:423)
	at py4j.reflection.MethodInvoker.invoke(MethodInvoker.java:247)
	at py4j.reflection.ReflectionEngine.invoke(ReflectionEngine.java:357)
	at py4j.Gateway.invoke(Gateway.java:238)
	at py4j.commands.ConstructorCommand.invokeConstructor(ConstructorCommand.java:80)
	at py4j.commands.ConstructorCommand.execute(ConstructorCommand.java:69)
	at py4j.GatewayConnection.run(GatewayConnection.java:214)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

What kind of mistake can it be? What should I fix?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Yarn cannot start AM on some nodes after update

Rising Star

The "int getMemory()" API was marked deprecated in favor of the "long getMemorySize()" API. However seems like at the proto level the int API was removed and that's probably why it is throwing NoSuchMethodError. Update the code to use getMemorySize and try.

New Contributor

Actually I can't understand who use this method. I tryed my symple test script and sparkPi example on Scala. Both cases works well with master local, and return error wth master yarn.

How can I understand which code should I update?

Rising Star

Also, make sure you have updated all your nodes to HDP 2.6.5.

New Contributor

I update the whole cluster using HDP. So I think all my nodes should be updated.

New Contributor

I got same errors and at last I found there are some non-compliable jar files in spark lib directory. Please check your spark lib path to see if there are some additional jars you added.