Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Yarn - kill malicious application master

Highlighted

Yarn - kill malicious application master

New Contributor

It is possible that some malicious application master requires way more resource than cluster can offer. Based my observation, it will starve the whole cluster since the malicious application reserves all resource but still waiting for more. It seems YARN eventually times out that app master. There is property yarn.am.liveness-monitor.expiry-interval-ms seems to be relevant, but I don’t want legitimate‎ long running am times out prematurely.

Similarly, I can submit thousands of application at same time to Yarn cluster and each will launch an AM, which could produce deadlock situation.

What’s the best way to handle this type of malicious application?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Yarn - kill malicious application master

Master Guru
> It is possible that some malicious application master requires way more resource than cluster can offer.

You should be able to control this with a scheduler max-alloc limit. It will let you cap user's limits when requesting a resource.

> Similarly, I can submit thousands of application at same time to Yarn cluster and each will launch an AM, which could produce deadlock situation.

I think the schedulers do try to do something to handle this already, but since there's no "resource reservation" system (e.g. slots), this is easily possible I think. I'll let others comment on things you could do to avoid this. One simple way would be to limit concurrent applications using your FairScheduler/etc..
Highlighted

Contributor

> Similarly, I can submit thousands of application at same time to Yarn cluster and each will launch an AM, which could produce deadlock situation.

That's true. For now, you can set the maxRunningApps per queue in Fair Scheduler to prevent launching too many AMs. We're going to address this better in a future release, like limiting the total resources allocated to AMs.

Highlighted

New Contributor

Thanks for your reply. Could you let me know the exact property name for max-alloc limit? Is it yarn.scheduler.maximum-allocation-mb? I am using fair-scheduler. 

Thanks.

Contributor

yarn.scheduler.maximum-allocation-mb is the max allocation for any container, regardless of queue, user or priority. This setting operates below the application level.

In Fair Scheduler, you can specify "maxResources" for any queue. That would limit the queue's total memory/cpu usage. This setting operates above the container level. See http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.3.0/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-site/FairScheduler.html

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here