Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Zeppelin spark pyspark issues

Highlighted

Zeppelin spark pyspark issues

Contributor

Running spark or pyspark from the zeppelin notebook hangs. Looking in the zeppelin-interpreter-spark log I am seeing the following

ERROR [2017-05-18 11:51:39,130] ({BoneCP-pool-watch-thread} PoolWatchThread.java[fillConnections]:118) - Error in trying to obtain a connection. Retrying in 7000ms java.sql.SQLException: A read-only user or a user in a read-only database is not permitted to disable read-only mode on a connection. at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unknown Source) at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.generateCsSQLException(Unknown Source) at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.wrapInSQLException(Unknown Source) at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.handleException(Unknown Source) at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.handleException(Unknown Source) at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.setReadOnly(Unknown Source) at com.jolbox.bonecp.ConnectionHandle.setReadOnly(ConnectionHandle.java:1324) at com.jolbox.bonecp.ConnectionHandle.<init>(ConnectionHandle.java:262) at com.jolbox.bonecp.PoolWatchThread.fillConnections(PoolWatchThread.java:115) at com.jolbox.bonecp.PoolWatchThread.run(PoolWatchThread.java:82) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: A read-only user or a user in a read-only database is not permitted to disable read-only mode on a connection. at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown Source) at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.wrapArgsForTransportAcrossDRDA(Unknown Source)

I have oozie installed and have verified the ownership of the oozie-db oozie:hadoop

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Zeppelin spark pyspark issues

Hi @Jon Page

I would check the same from spark cli.

Go to zeppelin node - from the console. Log in as zeppelin user and run:

$ spark-shell --master yarn-client

Next, try running the same as you do in Zeppelin UI. Is this working?

Contributor

I can run the cli, getting some read-only database errors. I get the scala> prompt and can issue commands (import sys.process._ and "ls -al".!) whcih work. Trying these same things from the zeppelin notebook cause the job to hang (contantly in a running 0% state)

Please, attach the screenshot with your spark interpreter config

New Contributor

@jon page how u solve this issue

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here