Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Zeppelin spark pyspark issues

Contributor

Running spark or pyspark from the zeppelin notebook hangs. Looking in the zeppelin-interpreter-spark log I am seeing the following

ERROR [2017-05-18 11:51:39,130] ({BoneCP-pool-watch-thread} PoolWatchThread.java[fillConnections]:118) - Error in trying to obtain a connection. Retrying in 7000ms java.sql.SQLException: A read-only user or a user in a read-only database is not permitted to disable read-only mode on a connection. at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unknown Source) at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.generateCsSQLException(Unknown Source) at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.wrapInSQLException(Unknown Source) at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.handleException(Unknown Source) at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.handleException(Unknown Source) at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.setReadOnly(Unknown Source) at com.jolbox.bonecp.ConnectionHandle.setReadOnly(ConnectionHandle.java:1324) at com.jolbox.bonecp.ConnectionHandle.<init>(ConnectionHandle.java:262) at com.jolbox.bonecp.PoolWatchThread.fillConnections(PoolWatchThread.java:115) at com.jolbox.bonecp.PoolWatchThread.run(PoolWatchThread.java:82) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: A read-only user or a user in a read-only database is not permitted to disable read-only mode on a connection. at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown Source) at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.wrapArgsForTransportAcrossDRDA(Unknown Source)

I have oozie installed and have verified the ownership of the oozie-db oozie:hadoop

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Zeppelin spark pyspark issues

Hi @Jon Page

I would check the same from spark cli.

Go to zeppelin node - from the console. Log in as zeppelin user and run:

$ spark-shell --master yarn-client

Next, try running the same as you do in Zeppelin UI. Is this working?

Contributor

I can run the cli, getting some read-only database errors. I get the scala> prompt and can issue commands (import sys.process._ and "ls -al".!) whcih work. Trying these same things from the zeppelin notebook cause the job to hang (contantly in a running 0% state)

Please, attach the screenshot with your spark interpreter config

@jon page how u solve this issue