Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

already exists and it is not symlink

Highlighted

already exists and it is not symlink

Explorer

During the Ambari installation wizard, getting error messages of "/usr/hdp/current/xxxx-client for xxxx already exists and

it is not a symlink".

The directory "/usr/hdp/current/xxxx-client" was created during the installation by Ambari-server.

When the Ambari-server takes care of the installation of services and manages the file structures of each node,

why it doesn't create a directory as symlink so that such an error wouldn't happen.

Does this mean that I gotta fix the error by removing the /usr/hdp/current/xxxx-client/ directory first and then

create a symlink when such an error arises?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: already exists and it is not symlink

@Yu Song

I too faced this issue but was with respect to symlink pointing to different location. Removing symlink and reinstalling the client worked for me.

Can you please let me know Step by step process you were following so that i can reproduce at my end and report if there is no jira already existing for the same. Please do let m know ambari and hdp version also.

Highlighted

Explorer

ambari-server --version : 2.4.0.1-1

ambari-agent --version : 2.4.0.1

using the public HDP-2.5 repo for Ubuntu 14.04

yes, I can remove the symlink and make it right or deleting the non-symlink directory and make it a symlink.

but, this happens every time in every service. because of this error, it's so tiring complete the installation.

One thing I'm not very sure is when people say "reinstall client ", how do you do that?

Just selecting the "client" option on the Ambari wizard during the installation?

That's what I'm doing and it keeps giving me the same error.

Explorer
Highlighted

@Yu Song

One thing I'm not very sure is when people say "reinstall client ", how do you do that?

--> You need to remove the client which is already install in cluster using ambari api commands.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/Using+APIs+to+delete+a+service+or+all+host+compon...

curl -u admin:admin -X DELETE  http://AMBARI_SERVER_HOST:8080/api/v1/clusters/c1/hosts/HOSTNAME/host_components/COMPONENTNAME

For eg. If i want to remove oozie client then below is the command -

curl -u admin:admin -X DELETE http://AMBARI_SERVER_HOST:8080/api/v1/clusters/c1/hosts/HOSTNAME/host_components/OOZIE_CLIENT

And then you can install client again from ambari via -

Login to AMbari UI->HOSTS-><select the host on which you need to add the client>->ADD-><select the client which you need to install on the node>

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here