Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

ambari agent failed to start and showing the error message "Failed to start ping port listener of: [Errno 98] Address already in use====" Please help me fixing this

ambari agent failed to start and showing the error message "Failed to start ping port listener of: [Errno 98] Address already in use====" Please help me fixing this

New Contributor

3 REPLIES 3

Re: ambari agent failed to start and showing the error message "Failed to start ping port listener of: [Errno 98] Address already in use====" Please help me fixing this

@Suraj Maritally

The ambari-agent uses port 8670 for the ping port. This may be changed in your configuration. You can check the ping_port parameter in /etc/ambari-agent/conf/ambari-agent.ini to make sure. Once you've verified that, you will need to see if there is a process listening on that port:

# netstat -antp | grep 1694
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8670                0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      1694/python

In this example, process 1694 is listening on that port. You will need to kill the process listening on the port before you can start the ambari-agent:

# ps 1694
  PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
 1694 ?        Sl   798:24 /usr/bin/python /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ambari_agent/main.py start
# kill -9 1694

You should then be able to start the ambari-agent process.

Re: ambari agent failed to start and showing the error message "Failed to start ping port listener of: [Errno 98] Address already in use====" Please help me fixing this

Expert Contributor

go to this location

$ambari-agent status

if it listing kill the process and start it.

$kill -9 process id for ambari-agent

$ambari-agent start

Explorer

Thanks buddy, worked from my env...