Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

can I run hadoop-2.3.0-cdh5.1.2, with Apache Hive 0.13.1 ? I would like to try out the Hive-on-Tez.

can I run hadoop-2.3.0-cdh5.1.2, with Apache Hive 0.13.1 ? I would like to try out the Hive-on-Tez.

New Contributor

Hi

I would like to evaluate Hive-on-Tez performance. (because Hive-on-Spark from CDH won't be available soon)

My question is, can I deploy HDFS/YARN with CDH (hadoop-2.3.0-cdh5.1.2), and then deploy Hive from Apache (0.13.1) on top of it?

Thanks,

James

3 REPLIES 3

Re: can I run hadoop-2.3.0-cdh5.1.2, with Apache Hive 0.13.1 ? I would like to try out the Hive-on-T

Hive-On-Tez is not available in Cloudera as of today. CDH 5.1.2 runs Hive
0.12 plus other fixed detailed below.

http://archive.cloudera.com/cdh5/cdh/5/hive-0.12.0-cdh5.1.2.releasenotes.html

Regards,
Gautam Gopalakrishnan

Re: can I run hadoop-2.3.0-cdh5.1.2, with Apache Hive 0.13.1 ? I would like to try out the Hive-on-T

New Contributor

actually my question is, can I run CDH (HDFS/YARN) with non-CDH (Apache Hive) together.

Right, I see what you mean. Officially we don't recommend or discourage Tez and we don't provide or support it. So no comment there from Cloudera. You could try the Apache mailing lists to see if someone else has done this before.

Alternatively, CDH comes with Impala which is a faster SQL-on-hadoop alternative. Have you tried that?
Regards,
Gautam Gopalakrishnan