Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

can we customize HDP installation in other directories instead of /usr /etc

Expert Contributor

Hi team,

i see HDP stores its lib files and packages in /usr/hdp and maintains diff versions

can we control HDP installation packages or rpm and make installation relocatable to other directories like /opt

if my It team does not permit installation inside /usr then what to do ?

# ls /usr/hdp/

2.4.0.0-169 2.4.2.0-258 current

Please advise

rpm -ql hdp-select-2.4.2.0-258.el6.noarch

/usr/bin/conf-select /usr/bin/hdp-select

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

@Ted Yu @emaxwell @Josh Elser thanks all for your confirmation , that's why i asked if rpm is relocatable 🙂

so the bottom line is Hortonworks installation directories cannot be changed , all binary and config files of HDP go in /usr and /etc .. since its hardcoded in RPM and RPM is not relocatable

i will close this thread

But I believe it should support relocatability from corporate IT policy POV , wherein we many times we have issue putting files in /usr and /etc

also i suggest at the time of RPM creation hortonworks should make RPM to be relocatable in order to allow installing binary and config files in other directories instead of /usr and /etc . i understand there are other software's which HDP consists of, but ultimately Hortwonworks can customize this bundle to support user specific needs

I should open this as an idea , WDYT ?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Super Guru

I am not aware of any option to allow installation to directories other than /usr/.

Master Collaborator

The installation is controlled by the rpm packages.

It is hard coded to /usr/hdp

@ripunjay godhani

No, it is not possible to modify the install locations. These locations are specified at the time the RPMs are built and can not be changed. 3rd party software will depend on HDP being installed in this location, and Ambari distributes all of the config files to /etc on all of the nodes. Log file directories can be changed, but not the binary installation and config file directories.

Expert Contributor

@Ted Yu @emaxwell @Josh Elser thanks all for your confirmation , that's why i asked if rpm is relocatable 🙂

i will close this thread

But I believe it should support this from corporate IT policy POV , wherein we many times have issue putting files in /usr and /etc

i should open this as an idea , WDYT ?

Expert Contributor

so the bottom line is Hortonworks installation directories cannot be changed , all binary and config files of HDP go in /usr and /etc .. since its hardcoded in RPM and RPM is not relocatable

i will close this thread

But I believe it should support relocatability from corporate IT policy POV , wherein we many times we have issue putting files in /usr and /etc

also i suggest at the time of RPM creation hortonworks should make RPM to be relocatable in order to allow installing binary and config files in other directories instead of /usr and /etc . i understand there are other software's which HDP consists of, but ultimately Hortwonworks can customize this bundle to support user specific needs

I should open this as an idea , WDYT ?