Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

cloudera-director convert-remote: The configuration does not appear to be in a supported format

cloudera-director convert-remote: The configuration does not appear to be in a supported format

Explorer

I'm unable to use the "convert-remote" option with the command-line version of "cloudera-director" (client). 

Using the option, "validate-remote", the 'conf file passes validation - no errors 

But, when I try to then convert the file I get the error:

"The configuration does not appear to be in a supported format"

6 REPLIES 6

Re: cloudera-director convert-remote: The configuration does not appear to be in a supported format

Expert Contributor

GaryS,

The convert-remote command is used to convert simple-setup style conf files into full conf files.

e.g.,

files like

https://github.com/cloudera/director-scripts/blob/master/configs/aws.simple_setup.conf

into files like

https://github.com/cloudera/director-scripts/blob/master/configs/aws.reference.conf

Can you tell us a little more about what you are trying to accomplish and about the conf file you are trying to convert?

Re: cloudera-director convert-remote: The configuration does not appear to be in a supported format

Explorer

Trying to convert a "simple" format into something that looks like what I get when exporting a config from altus. 

Goal:
1) verify a simple config via altus client [this worked - it passed verfication]
2) export an existing config via Altus "export config" feature

3) convirt #1 (above)
4) merge 2 with 3. Basically, just prepend the provider and db information.

Highlighted

Expert Contributor

The specific error you are seeing, "The configuration does not appear to be in a supported format", is because the convert-remote command doesn't think the config is a simple-setup style config. It checks this based on the inclusion of the "clusterType" field.

see https://github.com/cloudera/director-scripts/blob/master/configs/aws.simple_setup.conf#L47-L51

Can you check your simple-setup conf file for this field? 

validate-remote can validate both simple-setup and standard conf files, so it will submit the request regardless of the presence or absence of the "clusterType" field. I'm a little surprised that the validate-remote command would work on a simple-setup conf file missing the "clusterType" field, but validation only checks for a subset of problems and would not guarantee that the cluster would bootstrap properly.

Explorer

Didn't see "clusterType" field in my conf file. 

And, the altus export feature seems to skip kudu configurations. Couldn't find a reference to fs_wal_dir, fs_data_dirs, etc. 

I do have a workaround though.

Expert Contributor

please add the clusterType field to your simple conf. This field is used to determine the cluster topology (e.g., what services to run, where to locate roles).

The exported conf will not include configurations that are set through CM's autoconfiguration, only those that are manually set. You may not need to set those Kudu configurations unless you want to customize them to something different than what autoconfiguration would choose.

Explorer
Not sure that setting "clusterType" has a positive effect when using validate or convert remote altus command-line options.

I'll run it against another test today to confirm. But, didn't show good results