Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

connect two machines when on one we have vanilla hadoop installed(as a datanode) & other CDH4

connect two machines when on one we have vanilla hadoop installed(as a datanode) & other CDH4

New Contributor

How we can connect two machines when on one we have vanilla hadoop installed(this should be the name node), and other we have Cloudera CDH4 installed (this should work as datanode).

Shubh
5 REPLIES 5

Re: connect two machines when on one we have vanilla hadoop installed(as a datanode) & other CDH

Expert Contributor

I wouldn't recommend doing that, you should always run the same version of hadoop accross all machines in the same cluster. This is for software compatability reasons since not all versions are tested against the others to verify compatability, and major versions will almost certainly not be compatable. 

I'm curious what factors are preventing you from either installing the apache hadoop release on the datanode or upgrading your cluster to CDH4? 

Re: connect two machines when on one we have vanilla hadoop installed(as a datanode) & other CDH

New Contributor
We have the setup for both vanilla apache hadoop and cloudera CDH4 clusters. We wanted to add an extra node in vanilla hadoop cluster as a datanode. For that we wanted to utilize the cloudera cluster machines. I was wondering if we can do the same, when we have two seperate clusters having different versions.
Shubh

New Contributor

one other issu we are facing is that we cannot find eclipse plugin for Hadoop 2.0...

Shubh

Expert Contributor

So let's see if i understand,

you want more capacity in your vanilla cluster and you are wondering if both the vanilla hadoop installation and the cloudera CDH installation can both run on the same server, effectively having two datanodes on one server?

If so I haven't ever been forced to try that, I think it would be tricky to keep them from trying to use each others config files and environment settings. 

Highlighted

New Contributor

Anything about where i can get eclipse plugin for Hadoop 2.0..

Shubh