Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

export the blueprint json file for another cluster installation - is it possible ?

export the blueprint json file for another cluster installation - is it possible ?

hi all

we can export the blueprint of current cluster as :

To export a blueprint from an existing cluster:

curl -H "X-Requested-By: ambari" -X GET -u admin:admin http://c6401.ambari.apache.org:8080/api/v1/clusters/TestCluster?format=blueprint >/tmp/BP.json

in that case we have blueprint from current cluster

can we use this blueprint for other scratch installation cluster? by using this blueprint ?

Michael-Bronson
2 REPLIES 2

Re: export the blueprint json file for another cluster installation - is it possible ?

Mentor

@Michael Bronson

That's precisely the use case for using exported blueprints to have exactly the same components, configurations, etc. Like, build a PRE-PROD or QA from TEST. The ONLY constraint is you will have to pre-create the FS mount points to be identical, the databases and if the source cluster is kerberized you should also have a KDC with corresponding REALM, etc but one can also edit the Blueprint which is just JSON file and change values before deployment.

Ambari blueprints make cluster provisioning easier & repeatable. It addresses the need to codify and enforce best practices when deploying Hadoop clusters within the enterprise. They store environment specific information and configuration separately and can easily manage consistent deployment across clusters of all sizes. Finally, the API also removes the administrator from the provisioning process and fully automates the steps involved with creating a cluster.

HTH

Re: export the blueprint json file for another cluster installation - is it possible ?

@Geoffrey - first thank you so much for your response

I want to share a little issue here

let say we have ambari cluster , and I removed from the cluster all the services except the HDFS service

and ;later after my changes I export the file

as

curl -H "X-Requested-By: ambari" -X GET -u admin:admin http://c6401.ambari.apache.org:8080/api/v1/clusters/TestCluster?format=blueprint >/tmp/BP.json

so in that case , do we get the json that include only the HDFS service?

Michael-Bronson