Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

express upgrade ambari 2.2 stuck

Explorer

I started an express upgrade on ambari 2.2 and now I keep getting this error in the log and no upgrade is stuck.

I am upgrading from 2.2.4 to 2.3.2

25 Dec 2015 00:03:12,810 WARN [ambari-action-scheduler] ActionScheduler:200 - Exception received java.lang.NullPointerException at org.apache.ambari.server.orm.entities.StageEntity.isAutoSkipOnFailureSupported(StageEntity.java:260) at org.apache.ambari.server.actionmanager.Stage.<init>(Stage.java:132) at org.apache.ambari.server.actionmanager.StageFactoryImpl.createExisting(StageFactoryImpl.java:77) at org.apache.ambari.server.actionmanager.ActionDBAccessorImpl.getStagesInProgress(ActionDBAccessorImpl.java:256) at org.apache.ambari.server.actionmanager.ActionScheduler.doWork(ActionScheduler.java:230) at org.apache.ambari.server.actionmanager.ActionScheduler.run(ActionScheduler.java:195) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Mentor

did you select the option to skip failed service checks?

Explorer

yep. tried that. its keeps logging the above error over and over. and its filling up my logs. I even try to issue an abort request, its says upgrade paused but can't get out of it.

I assume Ambari was upgraded from an older version - which was it? Did the upgrade succeed? Can you share the schema for table "stage" from the database?

Contributor

@Hassan Faouaz as Sumit mentioned was this a clean install of Ambari 2.2 or did you upgrade from an older Ambari version? Possibly the ambari-server upgrade didnt complete successfully and that might be the actual issue.

Explorer

yes I upgraded from Ambari 2.1 to 2.2.

CREATE TABLE stage
(
  stage_id bigint NOT NULL,
  request_id bigint NOT NULL,
  cluster_id bigint NOT NULL,
  skippable smallint NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
  log_info character varying(255) NOT NULL,
  request_context character varying(255),
  cluster_host_info bytea NOT NULL,
  command_params bytea,
  host_params bytea,
  supports_auto_skip_failure integer,
  CONSTRAINT stage_pkey PRIMARY KEY (stage_id, request_id),
  CONSTRAINT fk_stage_request_id FOREIGN KEY (request_id)
      REFERENCES request (request_id) MATCH SIMPLE

Explorer

I had to clear all the requests rows in the request table to clear the above issue. Now I when I go back to preform an upgrade its sits on the followig dialog.

I am performing an upgrade from 2.2.4 to 2.3.2 using Ambari 2.2

attached is the screen where its stuck...screen-shot-2015-12-26-at-101352-am.png