Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

ghost users in the hive

ghost users in the hive

New Contributor

I run a java user XXX cat DDL.sql | hive, but in the process I get the error.

[XXX@host-001 db]$ cat DDL.sql | hive
FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask. MetaException(message:MetaException(message:Got exception: org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException Permission denied: user=YYY, access=WRITE, inode="/user/XXX/databases/data_tracing_rep/db_report/filedate=2016-09-07/r=60":XXX:hdfs:drwxr-xr-x

where does user YYY? in ENV not it.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: ghost users in the hive

Is the cluster Kerberized? And if so, are you running with a principal for the "XXX" user or the "YYY" user?

New Contributor
@David Streever

kerberos off, working under the XXX

@Sergey Paramoshkin

If you have doAs disabled, your queries will run as the Hive user. Check that your directory is open to allow the Hive user to write files there. If not (e.g. permissions are rwx------ or something similar), then the Hive user will error. Since I don't know what YYY user is, I can't verify if this the right answer, but it's something else to check.

@emaxwell doas would only apply if he was going through HS2.

The only other thing that comes to mind is the existence of the "XXX" user on the Namenode and/or their association with the group "hadoop".

If they aren't in the group "hadoop", you may find a setting in the hadoop-policy.xml file called: security.client.protocol.acl that is set to "hadoop". This is a way to prevent users not in this group from accessing HDFS.

Note that the user account must exist on the Namenode as well. When you project a request from an Edgenode, where you obviously have the user account, the id (string version) is sent to the Namenode. The Namenode is responsible for "authorization" and does a group lookup of the user on the Namenode Host. If the user doesn't exist here OR their groups aren't the same as they were on the Edgenode where you launch the Hive command from, you'll have issues like this.

New Contributor

Hi @David Streever

XXX user has both namenodes and edgenode, but he was not in the group "hadoop"

<property>
      <name>security.client.protocol.acl</name>
      <value>*</value>
    </property>