Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

hardware namenode and secondary namenode

Master Collaborator

Hi.

My primary namenode has the double hardware of the secondary namenode, is a good architecture???

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rising Star

Hi @Roberto Sancho: 47GB RAM is not a lot for a NN. It will work for a PoC, but this is definitely not recommended for production.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Rising Star

Hi Roberto,

I would recommend using Namenode HA (High Availability) rather than a secondary namenode. However, in a HA scenario the Namenode specs would be identical which would increases your total costs.

Hope it helps, Chris

Master Collaborator

Hi:

Yes ill make Namenode HA (High Availability), but the active namenode will have more hardware that the stanby namenode, will be a problem???

thanks

Rising Star

Well, it depends mainly on the memory of standby namenode. Imagine the following scenario: If the active namenode fails, the standby namenode takes over very quickly because it has the latest state available in memory: both the latest edit logs entries and an up-to-date block mapping. That means the RAM should be more or less the same in both namenodes.

Cheers, Chris

Rising Star

A common HW setup would be 12+ cores, 128-256 GB RAM

Master Collaborator

Hi:

Actually my unique master has 12 cores and 47 gb ram y new machine will have 256 ram and 12 and 20 cors, it will be ok??

Rising Star

Hi @Roberto Sancho: 47GB RAM is not a lot for a NN. It will work for a PoC, but this is definitely not recommended for production.