Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

hdfs dfs -ls show up local system files

hdfs dfs -ls show up local system files

Expert Contributor

HI, everyone

CM version : 5.5.1 

CDH version: the latest version

as i have tested, some machines can't show up hdfs files by hdfs dfs -ls .  it shows up wanrings like not set fs.default.   

after get these messages, i am going to check core-site.xml in /etc/hadoop/conf.  the result is if the core-site.xml is empty,then can't show up hdfs files. i have tested many machines, if the machine role is not zk, HDFS then the core-site.xml is empty, i need add contents in core-site.xml and hdfs-site.xml manually . this kind case doesn't happend in previous version.

who can give me some advises for this issue, since i don't want to add the contents in core-site and hdfs-site for so many machines.

1 REPLY 1

Re: hdfs dfs -ls show up local system files

Master Guru
You need Gateway roles deployed to have proper configurations for client tools. Without these, the default configuration files remain empty.

Please do the below:

CM -> Clusters -> Your Cluster -> YARN (or MapReduce, or HDFS) -> Instances -> Add Role Instances (button) -> Select all your hosts as Gateway role type -> Proceed and save.
CM -> Clusters -> Your Cluster -> Actions -> Deploy Client Configuration