Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

hdp3.0 - unable to start ranger after reset amb_ranger_admin password

Highlighted

hdp3.0 - unable to start ranger after reset amb_ranger_admin password

Contributor

Hi there,

after upgrading to hdp3.0, i got an warning of "User:amb_ranger_admin credentials on Ambari UI are not in sync with Ranger",

I followed the advice from https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/88381/useramb-ranger-admin-credentials-on-ambari-ui-are.... , as i forgot the orginal password of amb_ranger_admin in ranger, i re-set the amb_ranger_admin password in ranger ui to same as ambari ranger ui "Ranger Admin username for Ambari" .

But then it failed to restart ranger from Ambari, the error is:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/stacks/HDP/3.0/services/RANGER/package/scripts/ranger_admin.py", line 236, in <module>
    RangerAdmin().execute()
  File "/usr/lib/ambari-agent/lib/resource_management/libraries/script/script.py", line 353, in execute
    method(env)
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/stacks/HDP/3.0/services/RANGER/package/scripts/ranger_admin.py", line 94, in start
    setup_ranger_xml.validate_user_password()
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/stacks/HDP/3.0/services/RANGER/package/scripts/setup_ranger_xml.py", line 838, in validate_user_password
    raise Fail("Password validation failed for : " + ", ".join(validation) + ". Password should be minimum 8 characters with minimum one alphabet and one numeric. Unsupported special characters are \" ' \ `")
resource_management.core.exceptions.Fail: Password validation failed for : admin_password. Password should be minimum 8 characters with minimum one alphabet and one numeric. Unsupported special characters are " ' \ `

I am pretty sure that the password of "Ranger Admin username for Ambari" is fulfill the requirement.

Any idea?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: hdp3.0 - unable to start ranger after reset amb_ranger_admin password

Cloudera Employee
File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/stacks/HDP/3.0/services/RANGER/package/scripts/setup_ranger_xml.py", line 838, in validate_user_password    raise Fail("Password validation failed for : " + ", ".join(validation) + ". Password should be minimum 8 characters with minimum one alphabet and one numeric. Unsupported special characters are \" ' \ `")resource_management.core.exceptions.Fail: Password validation failed for : admin_password. Password should be minimum 8 characters with minimum one alphabet and one numeric. Unsupported special characters are " ' \ `

It seems that the password given by you is not as per the guidelines so can you give a password something with minimum 8 characters with a minimum one alphabet and one number with out any special character.

Highlighted

Hi @forest lin ,

I see the as per code of

for index in range(len(ranger_password_properties)):
    password = params.config['configurations']['ranger-env'][ranger_password_properties[index]]
    if not bool(re.search(r'^(?=.*[0-9])(?=.*[a-zA-Z]).{8,}$', password)) or bool(re.search('[\\\`"\']', password)):
      validation.append(ranger_password_properties[index])
  if len(validation) > 0:
    raise Fail("Password validation failed for : " + ", ".join(validation) + ". Password should be minimum 8 characters with minimum one alphabet and one numeric. Unsupported special characters are \" ' \ `"), password)) or bool(re.search('[\\\`"\']', password)):

Its validated for

1) 8 character password with minimum one alphabet and one numberic

2) should contain special characters like " ' \ `

either of this validation is going wrong due to which its throwin this exception.

Hope this helps.

Highlighted

Hi @forest lin,

Please Let me know if this helped.

if you are sure it iwll work. you can disable validation from ambari side at this file

[root@anaik1 scripts]# pwd /var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/RANGER/0.4.0/package/scripts
[root@anaik1 scripts]# vi setup_ranger_xml.py

and comment the line

password_validation(params.ranger_usersync_ldap_ldapbindpassword)

Let me know if this helps :)

Highlighted

Contributor

I have tried to re-install ranger and ranger kms, everything works well except the warning still exist. Wondering if it is a wrong warning..

Highlighted

Hi @forest lin ,

Is the warning same as above mentioned or the different one ?

Glad that your issue got resolved.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here