Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

hello everyone, I'm installing hadoop using cloudera manager (latest) on CentOS 6.4. I have followig

Explorer

hello everyone, I'm installing hadoop using cloudera manager (latest) on fresh CentOS 6.4 (minimum + desktop). I have followig questions:

1. What are the precise step by step procedures that I should follow before start of claudera installation?(for single mode cluster ).

Thanks in Advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Collaborator

Feel free to use path A as well!   It is by far the simplest approach to setup and configuration so that you can get into using the platform quickly.

The path B approach lets you manage the installation manually using packages, and would be what you want to do for a production deployment that you intend to run long term. 

If you have previously attempted install, search for "uninstall" in the installation guide in the docs (top left of docs pages to search) and it will give you the cleanup steps to apply to your previous installation attempts. 

RHEL 6.4 is fine to use 6.5 is supported as well, the actual OS, database, and JDK requirements are listed in the sections around the link I gave for the single user mode discussion as well.

Keep us posted on your progress, feel free to start a new topic to address the specific issue you see. 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Expert Contributor

I can document the process for CentOS if you like. It's pretty much the same with RedHat as well.  Only difference is the repo and versions.

Let me know if you want it documented then I'll post it somewhere for you.

Explorer
it would be good if you document it nauseus.
thanks in advance.

Master Collaborator

Requirements for installation:

http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/documentation/core/latest/topics/installation_reqts.html

Step by step instructions for install based on linux distro

http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/documentation/core/latest/topics/installation_installati...

Path A uses our simple binary installer, which is OK for lab/POC type setup.  Path B is the preferred method when planning installation for a production or production release testing environment.    The simple path A installer installs and configures embedded database instances that may not be appropriate for the long term management of a production environment. 

Master Collaborator

Also question - are you saying "single user mode" or "single node cluster", as they are different things related to the install.

If you are doing a single node cluster the one additional step would be to set the block replication factor for HDFS to 1 during setup of CDH services.

Explorer

the prolem is that when I choose "Single User Mode" checkbox while installing CDH I get following error "/api/v8/cm/config { }" I don't know what is this.

Expert Contributor

I'll work on the documentation this weekend

Something you can understand without having to click another link,link, link to find information :-).

Master Collaborator
The single user mode installation has a number of pre installation requirements, what step are you on within the docs at this point?

Explorer
What I did:
1. I installed CentOS 6.4 (DESKTOP) on Windows with dual boot. Disabled
Selinux and Iptables.
2. I downloaded Cloudera Manager Latest 5.3.2 from official website
(Express version)
3. Then changed rights to Cloudera installer and started installation .
4. It started the process of downloading and configuring
5. Then dialog box opened "installation success" and I opened
localhost:7180 from browser from where I choose free install of cloudera
manager, then in hosts I typed my host IP address clicked continue, then I
selected parcels and choose to install JDK,

up to here everything was fine

here started the problem:
6. I checked "Single User Mode" checkbox and clicked continue and it gave
me error "/api/v8/cm/config { }";
7. I tried also installing without checking "Single User Mode" Still at the
end of installation it gives me error .

I looked many instructions and tried many things, but with no result.

Master Collaborator

This page runs through the requirements for a system and what needs to be done to prepare for single user mode install.  If you dont have specific security requirements to install as a user other that root, I would suggest simplifying your approach ot the install.  If you must use a non-root user to install, then you must prepare things based on these steps.

http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/documentation/core/latest/topics/install_singleuser_reqt...