Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

hive error: after changed the name of all hosts, some hive command failed

Highlighted

hive error: after changed the name of all hosts, some hive command failed

Explorer

Hello all, I am very new to cloudera.I have some issues with HIVE.

We have a six nodes cluster for a big data initiative projects. the host names were like cloudera1.localdomain, ....cloudera6.localdomain. We have done some basic function tests( sqoop, hive, pig, impala, oozie, etc) everything worked well, so we decided to move the cluster to our domain, and the hosts were rename to cloudera01.abc.com....cloudera06.abc.com. 

I ran all the tests again, sqoop, pig, oozie worked fine, and now I am working on hive. I got some errors during run the SELECT command.

[root@Cloudera01 lab]# hive
2016-09-06 16:54:02,110 WARN [main] mapreduce.TableMapReduceUtil: The hbase-prefix-tree module jar containing PrefixTreeCodec is not present. Continuing without it.

Logging initialized using configuration in file:/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-5.7.1-1.cdh5.7.1.p0.11/etc/hive/conf.dist/hive-log4j.properties
WARNING: Hive CLI is deprecated and migration to Beeline is recommended.
hive> show databases;
OK
dualcore
Time taken: 0.47 seconds, Fetched: 2 row(s)
hive> use dualcore;
OK
Time taken: 0.019 seconds
hive> show tables;
OK
customers
employees
loyalty_program
order_details
orders
products
ratings
suppliers
weblogs
weblogs_3
Time taken: 0.048 seconds, Fetched: 10 row(s)
hive> select * from products;
FAILED: SemanticException Unable to determine if hdfs://Cloudera1.localdomain:8020/user/hive/warehouse/dualcore.db/products is encrypted: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Wrong FS: hdfs://Cloudera1.localdomain:8020/user/hive/warehouse/dualcore.db/products, expected: hdfs://Cloudera01.abc.com:8020
hive>

it looks like hive is trying to communicate with the old host.  But I have changed all the configuraion from clouderaX.localdomain to cloudera0X.abc.com.

how it is happened and how can I solve it.

Many thanks!!

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: hive error: after changed the name of all hosts, some hive command failed

Rising Star

You likely need to update the Hive metastore to refer to the correct NameNode. To do this, go into Cloudera Manager, stop the Hive service, and then from the service's Actions menu, select "Update Hive Metastore NameNodes." For more details on things to change when updating hostnames, check out this doc (the metastore command I reference is step #10).

Highlighted

Explorer

Thank you dspivak, I updated the metastore as instructed this morning, and when I ran the select command, I still got the same error. any sugsestions?

Thanks!!

Highlighted

Rising Star
Have you changed the Hive service config for where the metastore is located? "hive_metastore_database_host"?
Highlighted

Explorer

Thanks dspivak. the hive_metastore_database_host was located on cloudera1.localdomain, as I renamed it to cloudera01.abc.com, I didn't do any change other than that.

Highlighted

Rising Star
I'd recommend going through the link I posted and making sure you carry out every step. Report back if you're still seeing an issue after that.
Highlighted

Explorer

Hi, we don't have TLS/SSL, Kerberos, HA, soI skip the steps related to them. But I did follow the other steps. And I forgot to mention we have changed the IP address before the name change. could that be a problem?

Thanks.

Explorer

hi, I've deleted everything about hive and reinstall it again, it works.

Thanks.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here