Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

hive20 view hive check failing

hive20 view hive check failing

New Contributor

i'm using ambari version 2.5.1.0 along with HDP version 2.6.
getting the following error when i try to use the default hive 2.0 view

ERROR [ambari-client-thread-25] [HIVE 2.0.0 AUTO_HIVE20_INSTANCE] ServiceFormattedException:97 - Cannot open a hive connection with connect string jdbc:hive2://<zookeeper quorem>/;serviceDiscoveryMode=zooKeeper;zooKeeperNamespace=hiveserver2;hive.server2.proxy.user=admin
I am able to connect to the same jdbc string using beeline as follows

beeline -u "jdbc:hive2://<zookeeper quorem>/;serviceDiscoveryMode=zooKeeper;zooKeeperNamespace=hiveserver2;hive.server2.proxy.user=admin"
and able to execute hive queries from the command line.

I'm able to do this from all the machines with a hive client on the cluster including the ambari server, it is only the view check which is failing to connect. i'm getting the same error when trying to connect with hive view 1.5 aswell a pig view which fails to connect to webhcat.

What can I do to debug this further and resolve the issue ?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: hive20 view hive check failing

Hi @Adit Biswas. Has it worked in the past. You should not have to configure any setting but simply point the view to the cluster. Please paste your view settings in this thread.

Mentor

@Adit Biswas

Make sure admin user have a home directory else do this as the hdfs user

$hdfs dfs -mkdir /user/admin
$hdfs dfs -chown admin:hdfs  /user/admin

And in Ambari UI-->HDFS-->Configs-->Advanced

hadoop.proxyuser.hive.groups *
hadoop.proxyuser.hive.hosts *

hadoop.proxyuser.hdfs.hosts *
hadoop.proxyuser.hdfs.groups *

Let me know

New Contributor

@Geoffrey Shelton Okot i've already kept the hdfs configs with * to the proxyusers for hive and hdfs aswell as created the admin user directory with the permissions. i'm able to do all the operations on the files view but the hive view jdbc connection is failing.

New Contributor

@Scott Shaw

i'm using the default view that was installed by ambari during the installation without any changes, but i've been getting this issue from the beginning and the view hasnt been working

I've attached screenshots of the settings

27467-screen-shot-2017-08-15-at-101917-pm.png

27468-screen-shot-2017-08-15-at-101931-pm.png

27469-screen-shot-2017-08-15-at-101946-pm.png

Mentor

@Adit Biswas

I have spinned up a standalone HDP 2.6 cluster and reproduced your scenario but all went fine, see attached biswas.pdf.

Enable your hive plugin and start Ranger as it the ultimate authentication and authorisation authority

Please let me know if it worked :-)

New Contributor

thanks :) but i have an internal vpc with a custom fqdn service for the cluster running and i think the network configs must be breaking this somewhere. i'm just not sure how to debug it because all the hosts are resolving with the hostnames correctly and ambari is also installing properly, just the hive view isnt connecting :(

Mentor

@Adit Biswas

How does your /etc/hosts look like you can scramble the IP's if you like but I want to see the entries.You might need to add the Private DNS to all the hosts in the cluster to resolve this issue like

172.xx.31.xxx  ip-172-xx-31-xxx.eu-central-1.compute.internal  nodename1 

Waiting for your input

Highlighted

New Contributor

thanks, let me try add all the hosts to the /etc/hosts files. will post tomorrow morning :)

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here