Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

how to go from spark dataframe to hive readable metastore table

Highlighted

how to go from spark dataframe to hive readable metastore table

Currently we use the "create table as select from temp_table" trick to store a dataframe into HIVE, to avoid storing a spark only readable table.

Now I am trying to use hivecontext.createExternalTable(...) to store a dataframe in HIVE metastore using an externally stored file, but I run in the well known issues again: The table is only readable by spark, even if we provide a schema

How to make the table usable outside a spark context (so proper sql queries using an ODBC connection, etc. etc.)?

FYI We use pyspark

3 REPLIES 3

Re: how to go from spark dataframe to hive readable metastore table

Explorer

Why do you need to create your table from Spark?

Typically you can create your tables using hive query and deploy them separately outside of the Spark job. And then insert your data into the tables using Spark!

An example could be:

CREATE TABLE your_table_name (col1 String, col2 Timestamp) STORED AS ORC

yourDF.write().mode(SaveMode.Append).format("orc").saveAsTable("your_table_name")

New Contributor

Have created table using above command with saveMode.Ignore(as Want to create new table), I can see using command 'hadoop fs -ls /apps/hive/warehouse\test.db' where test is my database I can see

drwxr-xr-x - psudhir hdfs 0 2016-01-04 05:02 /apps/hive/warehouse/test.db/myTableName

but unale to view or load those tables, i.e when I use HiveContext("showtables") I only can view old tables , new tables are not visible and I cannot access them from my HiveContext object

SaprkVersion :1.4.1

Contributor
Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here