Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

how to upgrade an existing version of Quick start vm 5.x to latest version

how to upgrade an existing version of Quick start vm 5.x to latest version

Explorer

hi there,

i've an old 5.x version of vm, and i don't want to download the new version.

can any body advise how i can upgrade it to the latest version, using the old installation?

Kind regards

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: how to upgrade an existing version of Quick start vm 5.x to latest version

Rising Star
The VM is a complete OS environment, so you could just follow the Cloudera docs on upgrading a cluster. But that would likely take much longer than just downloading a single new file, no? Why the aversion?

Contributor

If you are just using the out-of-the-box CDH installation, you should be able to upgrade normally. It can be as simple as 'sudo yum update', but do consult the documentation for any other gotchas. If you have used one of the provided script to migrate to CM, you should also be able to upgrade CM and CDH the normal way (update CM packages, then use CDH to update the CDH version on the 'cluster'). Do note, however, that if your VM currently has the scripts to migrate to CM and use parcels, they may not work after you upgrade or may work but will use the original CDH version the VM was downloaded with. The eclipse environment and some other files may also cease working if versions change.

As Dima suggested, it is likely going to be easier to download the new VM, unless you specifically need a maintenance release for which a VM was not released (e.g. 5.5.1)

Explorer

by the way does upgrading cloudera manager means that we've upgraded the whole instance? OR each every application or service need to be upgraded manually

Explorer

well i've not used the earlier downloaded version, therefore also want to see for having more knowledge that how can i upgrade it later on?

Kind regards

Explorer
thx buddy, highly appreciate it