Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

hwo to transfer to a new host

hwo to transfer to a new host

Rising Star

Hi, 

I would like to retire a old host. How could I transfer all the Cloudera Manager managed data(hdfs data, impala data, etc...) into a specific new host.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: hwo to transfer to a new host

Cloudera Employee

Hi zhuangmz,

You have to make a difference between the actual HDFS data (blocks) and the Hadoop services on the host.

Simply said, HDFS takes care of replicating the data to other host if you are removing one (called de-comissioning in Cloudera Manager).

However, services will need to be manually assigned to the new host. Also, there could be some difference whether you are dealing with worker (like datanode, nodemanager) or master (namenode, resource manager) roles.

If you desribe what services do you have on your host you wan't to retire, I can be more specific.

cheers,

Gabor

Highlighted

Rising Star
Hi, zegab.
I've successfully transfer HDFS namenode, failovernode and journalnode using cloudera manager.
Can I transfer a datanode to another host.
What If that host is already a datanode and store some data? Will they merge or?

Thanks.

Rising Star
Actually, I would like to know more details about data administration in HDFS. Could you share me a link on this? Thanks.
Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here