Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here. Want to know more about what has changed? Check out the Community News blog.

insert_inherit_permissions has no effect on "insert overwrite" but works with "insert into"

insert_inherit_permissions has no effect on "insert overwrite" but works with "insert into"

New Contributor

HI,

Came across an interesting behavior with insert_inherit_permissions param.

Doing a bunch of "insert into" table x, hdfs file persmissions are as expected as shown below.

drwxrwxrwt   - impala hive          0 2015-01-06 10:39 /user/hive/warehouse/rt_test/year=2015/month=1/adate=6/hour=10/min=39

Then I did an "insert overwrite" on the same table and found that the hdfs file persmissions got reset as shown below:

drwxr-xr-x   - impala hive          0 2015-01-06 10:43 /user/hive/warehouse/rt_test/year=2015/month=1/adate=6/hour=10/min=39

I am on impala 2.0....

Is this a bug?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: insert_inherit_permissions has no effect on "insert overwrite" but works with "i

Explorer

I see this was addressed as patch for IMPALA-827 but it only works for insert statements . The code is such that insert_inherit_permissions is not checked for insert OVERWRITE... is this by design or oversight?

Highlighted

Re: insert_inherit_permissions has no effect on "insert overwrite" but works with "i

Cloudera Employee

This does look like a bug. I've filed https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/IMPALA-3297