Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

is it necessary to restart the ambari server after we delete service

hi all

is it necessary to restart the ambari server after we delete ambari service by REST API ?

I as asking because after we delete some service from the ambari by API

we saw that service really Disappeared from ambari dartboard

so I not sure if we need also to restart the ambari server to take affect?

Michael-Bronson
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@Michael Bronson

After deleting a service from Ambari UI Or using Ambari API calls ... you do not need to restart Ambari Server.

Additionally, When you delete the service using Ambari UI then it internally makes the same API calls.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hello!

DISCLAIMER: I don't have this knowledge, but want to add my two cents

First, I don't think is really necessary. When you delete a service via UI, it automatically refresh and the service dissapears, therefore, by using the REST API, should trigger the same mechanism (if not, I feel is bad design).

Second: Ambari Server is independent from HDP. What I mean is: Ambari is used for monitoring/installing/configuring/etc, but it doesnt affect on your cluster. You can power off you Ambari, and your cluster is going to work without problems, therefore, I think restarting or not, is transparent (besides triggering alarms and loading (a tiny bit the system on restart)).

My question here is why do you need to use the REST api to delete a service. I mean, a service is normally a "once in a lifetime, besides updates". Why not use GUI, and simplify your life?

@David Sanchez we are using script in order to add service or to delete the service , we not do it from amabri UI because we do all services management by automatic script that do it

Michael-Bronson

Master Mentor

@Michael Bronson

After deleting a service from Ambari UI Or using Ambari API calls ... you do not need to restart Ambari Server.

Additionally, When you delete the service using Ambari UI then it internally makes the same API calls.

@Jay as you know we are using script that use API to delete the service , so if no need to restart the ambari server , so I am understand that only deletion by API is that all needed and no need other additional steps - correct me i am I wrong

Michael-Bronson