Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

my file is copied to local but I can't find it hdfs

Highlighted

my file is copied to local but I can't find it hdfs

New Contributor

Hi, Can someone please tell me what I did wrong? I have attached the screenshot.

Thanks in advancedel.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: my file is copied to local but I can't find it hdfs

Super Mentor

@Aman075 

Because the directory "/forPig" or may be its content already exist in your local file system hence the hdfs get command is not able to replace the local dir/file "/forPig" content with the HDFS file content  "/testing/pigData/drivers.csv"

So if you want to override the content inside the directory "/forPig" then you can use "-f" force option.

# hdfs dfs -get -f /testing/pigData/drivers.csv /forPig/drivers.csv
(OR)
# hdfs dfs -get -f /testing/pigData/drivers.csv /forPig/

Also in your case "/forData" seems to be a directory hence you can try to specify the filename there like above or the dir like above

New Contributor

@jsensharma thanks for your reply, but if there is already a file in that directory why can't I see it when i use ls command? 

Highlighted

Super Mentor

@Aman075 

Instead of doing "#cd  forPig" and then checking the listing can you try specifying the fully qualified path of the dir like: (because there may be multiple "forPig" directories (like one may be in relative path and other on absolute path)

# pwd
# ls -lart /forPig

If you still face any issue then please try the DEBUG logging to see if there is anything wrong?

# export HADOOP_ROOT_LOGGER=DEBUG,console
# hdfs dfs -get -f /testing/pigData/drivers.csv /forPig/

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here