Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

my zepplin shiro.ini changes are repeatedly being overwritten

my zepplin shiro.ini changes are repeatedly being overwritten

New Contributor

I've made changes to shiro.ini in my /usr/hdp/current/zeppelin-server/conf directory. I've noticed that the system is somehow reverting back to the original settings after some time. From the ambari dashboard summary, i've noticed that Zeppelin Notebook had a status of Stopped.

After making shiro.ini changes, I did restart the zeppelin server. I was able to change from only anonymous login to enable maria_dev (following HDP Sandbox tutorial) but I lost access to the Interpreter page.

Any ideas as to what is reverting my shiro.ini file and why, after making changes, I can't execute the sh interpreter even though I can from the command line as maria_dev.

thanks. -Colin

12 REPLIES 12

Re: my zepplin shiro.ini changes are repeatedly being overwritten

@Colin Cunningham You need to make the changes in Ambari, Zeppelin > Configs > Advanced zeppelin-env > shiro_ini_content

When you change the file outside of Ambari and restart Zeppelin, Ambari is overwriting your changes.

New Contributor

@slacterman OK thanks, but in Ambari logged in as admin, and go to shiro_ini_content, I can't modify it or anything from there. i went down this path long ago as Zeppelin wasn't available from Ambari Views as shown in the HDP sandbox tutorial.

Expert Contributor

Hi @Colin Cunningham, I'm wondering if Ambari could be writing over it, or at least conflicting with your settings, because you can specify shiro.ini settings from Ambari config tabs. For more info see

http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.5.3/bk_zeppelin-component-guide/content/zepp-aut...

New Contributor

You are right but how can anyone proceed w/ the tutorials when Zeppelin doesn't work as advertised in first or subsequent tutorial using the Azure HDP Sandbox 2.5 (http://hortonworks.com/hadoop-tutorial/hands-on-tour-of-apache-spark-in-5-minutes/). Can you put me in contact w/ the tutorial owners? I really wish a full workaround using Zeppelin were provided. thanks. colin

New Contributor

i forgot to note here that, even as admin, i can't modify the shiro.ini contents from Ambari. editing the config from there is disabled, at least by default. If you know how to enable modifications, please do tell. thanks again.

Expert Contributor

I haven't seen it disabled, but what rguruvannagari says (below) makes sense. If you've tried that & it doesn't work, please post back. I'll also see if I can track down the sandbox owner to request an revision/clarification.

Expert Contributor

@Colin Cunningham

As others have mentioned, Ambari will always overwrite any local changes you make to configuration files on disk. This is done intentionally.

You should be able to modify those settings directly in Ambari. Here is a screenshot of my Zeppelin configs in Ambari (Docker Sandbox):

12124-screen-shot-2017-02-03-at-55228-pm.png

It is curious that you can't edit your settings. Can you share a screenshot of yours? Have you tried using the + (override) button?

New Contributor

this is what i see...when i hover over an item i get the dreaded red ghostbusters icon. thank you.

ambari020317.png