Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

no jobs output in history server

no jobs output in history server

Explorer

Using HDP 2.3 sandbox otb essentially and am running Spark jobs but no output in the history server:-

No completed applications found!

Did you specify the correct logging directory? Please verify your setting of spark.history.fs.logDirectory and whether you have the permissions to access it. It is also possible that your application did not run to completion or did not stop the SparkContext.

So the job ran to completion successfully (in YARN: State: Finished; Final Status: Succeeded)

Via Ambari, (based on some other info found), i updated the Spark config; adding properties to "Custom spark-defaults", which on the restart of Spark updated "/etc/spark/2.3.2.0-2950/0/spark-defaults.conf" with the following parameters:-

spark.eventLog.compress true

spark.eventLog.dir hdfs://tmp/spark-events

spark.eventLog.enabled true

spark.history.fs.logDirectory hdfs://tmp/spark-events

The /tmp/spark-events directory was already created:-

drwxrwxrwx - spark hdfs 0 2016-05-11 09:21 /tmp/spark-events

I re-ran the Spark job but still nothing in the UI.

Any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: no jobs output in history server

Rising Star

You need to check the permissions on the application log file in hdfs://tmp/spark-events. This file must be readable by user spark

Explorer

hi Davide, as above, the permissions are:-

drwxrwxrwx

(777)

& the owner is spark

Rising Star

Ok, but what are the ownership on the files insi

Explorer

There are no files inside

Rising Star

Could you attach the spark history log file?

Explorer

hi

I attached the spark history-server out log.

historyserver-1-sandboxhortonworkscom.txt

2 things:-

1. Does someone have their working spark-defaults.conf settings they can share (for HDP 2.3 sandbox)?

2. Nothing is getting written to my /spark-history directory in hdfs (as per spark.history.fs.logDirectory hdfs://sandbox.hortonworks.com:50070/spark-history) (I changed it from /tmp/spark-events in my original post) ... so there is nothing to retrieve from this location to display in the history server console. What controls this part of the process?

New Contributor

@johnmatt Were you able to solve this issue?
I'm facing exactly same problem

Community Manager

Hi @g_neha , as this is an older post, you would have a better chance of receiving a resolution by starting a new thread. This will also be an opportunity to provide details specific to your environment that could aid others in assisting you with a more accurate answer to your question. You can link this thread as a reference in your new post.

Regards,

Vidya Sargur,
Community Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Learn more about the Cloudera Community: