Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

performing yum update on root in hdp 2.6 shuts down my VM

Highlighted

performing yum update on root in hdp 2.6 shuts down my VM

New Contributor

Hi,

I am working on hdp 2.6 on virtual box. Whenever i perform yum update by logging in as root, it shuts down my VM. And the worst things is VM does not start again. I have to do re import of the image to make it work again. Adding screenshot below.

It happens after this step every time "cleanup:openssh-server-5.3".

39724-capture.png

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: performing yum update on root in hdp 2.6 shuts down my VM

Expert Contributor

@Prasant Soni If you are using Hortonworks Sandbox on Virtualbox then you should not run yum update (to update all the installed packages). The VM is based on Docker and it works with specific packages only. Once you run yum update it breaks its integrity. It is better to update individual packages as needed basis.

Highlighted

New Contributor

Actually i am taking an online course where the instructor used this command in his VM. But when i was doing the same thing it was showing this error. I need to install Python 2.7 in order to work with cassandra cqlsh. I successfully installed python27 but when i was enabling it using command " set enable python27 bash" and then checked the python version again using command "python -V", it was showing me Python version 2.6.6. Somehow it is not enabling the Python 2.7 version. So i was assuming that it is due to "yum update" because before installing python 2.7, the instructor performed a yum update. Any suggestions ?

Highlighted

Expert Contributor

@Prasant Soni It seems OS is dependent on the default python version OR there is some dependency on previous version, which stops working when you upgrade.

Highlighted

New Contributor

Any solution ? Is there any default package which i can update through yum so as to enable python 2.7 ?

Expert Contributor
Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here