Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

"Tez" process engine

Highlighted

"Tez" process engine

New Contributor

Is Tez is part of cloudera versions?  If yes then how to use Tez for processing Hive quires?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: "Tez" process engine

Cloudera Employee

It's not supported by Cloudera.

I've heard some users from the Hive community tried to make Tez work in Cloudera CDH, but it was hard to do it.

New Contributor

Hi,

I would like to understand why Tez is not supported in CDH?

Thanks,

Explorer

I think "Tez" is not inhouse to CDH. "Tez" from other distrubution. It might take time for such support.

Contributor

You are thinking of "He-Who-Cannot-Be-Named", aka Hortonworks. 8-)  Tez is a major selling point of their distribution.

Explorer

Spill the beans 8)

Cloudera Employee

Hi

I am a product manager at Cloudera working on SQL-on-Hadoop. I will answer your question regarding support for Tez in CDH.

Both Spark and Tez generalize the Mapreduce distributed computing framework that underlies many tools in the Hadoop ecosystem. At Cloudera, we believe that Spark is more suitable successor of Mapreduce because of its better architecture, more features, and a bigger community with ~100 contributors from ~25 companies. Hence, the support for Spark in CDH. Supporting Tez in addition to Spark in CDH would have added a lot of complexity to the platform while creating little value for our customers. Therefore, we decided not to support Tez in CDH. 

You can read more about Cloudera's views on Spark hereI will be happy to answer any further questions.