Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Check out our newest addition to the community, the Cloudera Innovation Accelerator group hub.

ranger kms blueprint postgres database non-default port

Expert Contributor

Hi

I have managed to have a successful deployment of a full blown ambari-stack using blueprints. As part of the next level of our security requirements I am attempting to make rangerkms run in its own database instance of postgres on a non-default port.

The corresponding blueprint entry

{
      "dbks-site" : {
        "properties_attributes" : { },
        "properties" : {
          "ranger.ks.hsm.enabled" : "false",
          "hadoop.kms.blacklist.DECRYPT_EEK" : "hdfs",
          "ranger.ks.jpa.jdbc.credential.alias" : "ranger.ks.jdbc.password",
          "ranger.ks.jpa.jdbc.url" : "jdbc:postgresql://mydb.server.com:7432/rangerkms",
          "ranger.ks.jpa.jdbc.driver" : "org.postgresql.Driver"
        }
      }
    }

During blueprint installation the jisql commands attempt to verify the connection to the database but it doesnt seem to take into account the port that i have configured

resource_management.core.exceptions.ExecutionFailed: Execution of 'ambari-python-wrap /usr/hdp/current/ranger-kms/db_setup.py' returned 1. 2018-03-03 00:22:47,004  [I] DB FLAVOR :POSTGRES
2018-03-03 00:22:47,005  [I] --------- Verifying Ranger DB connection ---------
2018-03-03 00:22:47,005  [I] Checking connection
2018-03-03 00:22:47,005  [JISQL] /usr/java/latest/bin/java -cp /usr/hdp/current/ranger-kms/ews/webapp/lib/postgresql-jdbc.jar:/usr/hdp/current/ranger-kms/jisql/lib/* org.apache.util.sql.Jisql -driver postgresql -cstring jdbc:postgresql://mydb.server.com/rangerkms -u rangerkms -p '********' -noheader -trim -c \; -query "SELECT 1;"
SQLException : SQL state: 28000 org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: FATAL: no pg_hba.conf entry for host "192.168.10.21", user "rangerkms", database "rangerkms", SSL off ErrorCode: 0
2018-03-03 00:22:47,182  [E] Can't establish connection

However on the same host where kms is being attempted to install say foo.server.com if i specify the port the connection is successful

/usr/java/latest/bin/java -cp /usr/hdp/current/ranger-kms/ews/webapp/lib/postgresql-jdbc.jar:/usr/hdp/current/ranger-kms/jisql/lib/* org.apache.util.sql.Jisql -driver postgresql -cstring jdbc:postgresql://mydb.server.com:7432/rangerkms -u rangerkms -p 'rangerkms' -noheader -trim -c \; -query "SELECT 1;" 1 | 

How do i get the db connection verifier to use the specified port in the blueprint ?

I do have an entry in my pg_hba conf for foo.server.com to access rangerkms db as user rangerkms ..

2 REPLIES 2

Expert Contributor

As part of this design I want ranger-kms to be separated from the other databases. So obviously if I just switch ports then ranger-kms gets installed but ranger admin does not because it uses the same library without the port !

Expert Contributor

As a hack I am specifying the port in the host name and that seems to work. Note the db_host below

{
      "kms-properties" : {
        "properties" : {
          "KMS_MASTER_KEY_PASSWD" : "foo",
          "DB_FLAVOR" : "POSTGRES",
          "db_name" : "rangerkms",
          "db_user" : "rangerkms",
          "db_password" : "foo",
          "REPOSITORY_CONFIG_USERNAME" : "keyadmin",
          "db_host" : "mydb.server.com:7432"
          }
      }