Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

safety valve configuration doesn't change the .xml files cm5

safety valve configuration doesn't change the .xml files cm5

Explorer

I'm able to change the configuration parameter in cloudera manager for existing propeties. But when I modify anything on safty valve and save changes it doesn't reflect in .xml file. Even after client deploy it revert back to the default changes and remove the safty valve entries.

I tried service wide advanced config for hbase-site.xml file. It's not working. Please guide how to make the safty valve changes to take effect .

We have cm5 free edition.

Regards,

GR

3 REPLIES 3

Re: safety valve configuration doesn't change the .xml files cm5

Super Collaborator

Can you please share what your setting in the safety valve?

Realize that not all service related values are passed to the "client configuration" files... the "Deploy client configuration" literally only passes client/command line related values to the default configuraiton XML.

Where your setting the safety valve can be important as well. So more detail will help us help you.

With some hive settings (for example) its necessary to set the values in the gateway safety valve to have them visible to client configuration (depending on what your trying to do).

You can verify what is being "set" for the actual service through the "Processes" tab under a specific service in cloudera manager, or by looking at the most recient instance of the runtime configuration as passed by CM to the processes in the /var/run/cloudera-scm-agent/process/###-service-SERVICE_ROLE.  Where the ### is a incrementing numerical value with each new start of the service.

use "ls -ltr" in the /var/run/cloudera-scm-agent/process path to identify most recient runtime config path

for example for a region server in hbase it would be:

/var/run/cloudera-scm-agent/process/667-hbase-REGIONSERVER

Explorer

Existing application is running on cdh4.2.1 which we need to test on the new version installed cdh5.0.2. When the application runs on the new version of cdh it creates table with version 1. Same code creates table with version 3 in 4.2.1.

So we are trying to modify the max.version property through safety valve for Hbase Service Advance Configuration Snippet for hbase-site.xml.

<property>
  <name>hbase.column.max.version</name>
  <value>3</value>
</property>

We can alter the table later to have required number of versions. But that's not the solution. Application code should run as it is running in cdh 4.2.1.

Regards,

GR

Hi GR,

Safety valves apply only to a particular set of roles, usually described if you read the description carefully. You modified the "service wide advanced config for hbase-site.xml file", which will only affect HBase services, not client configuration. It sounds like you want client configuration (/etc/hbase/conf) to be updated, so use the Client safety valve.

I'm not sure why there is a behavior change in the max versions. You may want to try asking on the HBase forums rather than management forums to get your answer for that one.

I also don't see hbase.column.max.version documented for hbase-site.xml, so that may not quite do what you want. The HBase forums would be a better place to find this answer as well.

Thanks,
Darren