Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

simple question about cluster size increase

SOLVED Go to solution
Highlighted

simple question about cluster size increase

Explorer

Hi

I am installing Cloudera Manager , Spark and Hadoop on 1 master and 5 slave computers.

Later on, I am planning to get 3 more slave computers after a few months.

Can I simply increase the size of my cluster using manager UI ? Will that result in all the packages being installed on the new computers and increase in cluster size?

Thnaks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: simple question about cluster size increase

Contributor

Yes, you can add extra nodes to the cluster even though you have used the non-production installation path. The difference between the two installation paths is the database backing the services. The non-prod version uses an embedded database, while the prod version relies on a stand alone database such as MySql.

3 REPLIES 3

Contributor

Yes you can join additional nodes to existing cluster using Cloudera Manager. Its a simple process of distributing the parcels and agents to new nodes and activating roles as needed. You can enter the process by selecting Hosts -> All Hosts, then Add new hosts to cluster.

Explorer

thank you for clarifying.

I am taking the non-production mode  , does this mode allow for cluster size increases like you described ?

Or must we have production mode in the first place to allow any sort of cluster size increase ?

https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/latest/topics/cm_ig_non_production.html 

https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/latest/topics/installation_installation.html 

Contributor

Yes, you can add extra nodes to the cluster even though you have used the non-production installation path. The difference between the two installation paths is the database backing the services. The non-prod version uses an embedded database, while the prod version relies on a stand alone database such as MySql.