Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

unexpected aws charges for free cloudera tutorial

unexpected aws charges for free cloudera tutorial

New Contributor

Hi Cloudera team,

I've just received a notification from AWS that I'd be charge +1000$ for services and never subsribed on purpose to any paying services.

I just followed the cloudera live tutorial and free registration with keys provided. I also remember at that time it was showing a free trial of 1 year.

I logged a case to AWS support (1704682471) and expecting them to cancel them to cancel all these charges. Can you let me know if you can be of any help on this issue? 

That's quite an amount for a free discovery...

5 REPLIES 5

Re: unexpected aws charges for free cloudera tutorial

Explorer

Exact same thing happened to me -- I feel like I was cheated!. A few weeks ago I signed up for this free tutorial, and then I struggled for weeks to get it working. First few attempts, I couldn't even create the cluster (as it turned out, it was in spite of email confirmations my account wasn't verified). Finally I made it work about 2.5 weeks ago -- but then I had difficulty connecting to the nodes.

Since no one answered my questions on the forum, and I was pretty busy with other stuff at work, it took me a while to sort the issue out on my own. I finally made it work just a few days ago -- and completed most of the tutorial the same day. So in reality I had only used it for 1 day, and all this time I had no idea that any costs would be involved at all.

Today I receive a bill for $504.44, claiming that I was using the cluster for 1380 hours. WTF???!!!

Of course, if you look really hard into the smallprint you can see all those hidden charges, but not once did I get a fair warning of the costs I'd be facing beforehand! 

This is just one of many examples how Amazon misleads you into believing you can try things for free:

===

Welcome to Amazon Web Services,

Thank you for creating an Amazon Web Services (AWS) account. For the next 12 months, you will have free access to compute, storage, database, and application services. Learn more by visiting our Free Tier page. To access your account, clickAccess Account.

===

This is really, really uncool.

Best regards,

Nikolay

Contributor

Sorry about your experience, guys. If you haven't already, I would go to AWS CloudFormation and delete the Cloudera Live stack so you do not accrue further charges.

Let me clarify what isn't and isn't free. We've been careful not to use the word 'free' on the webpage to refer to any of this since, as it also says, you are responsible for all charges on your AWS account. If you were informed otherwise, please let me know where so we can correct this.

• Free hosting was previously offered courtesy of GoGrid. However that has not been advertized on our website for quite a few months. On AWS, you are indeed responsible for the hosting charges. Everything happens inside your own account and at no point does Cloudera have access to provision resources on your behalf. The only resources are created by the CloudFormation template which is done directly by you, and these resources then trigger a process of deploying and configuring the relevant software on those resources.
  • The standard 60-day free trial of Cloudera Enterprise software is included, as are trial periods of partner software where relevant. However none of these trials can result in your being charged automatically (we do not colllect any credit card information from you, etc.) - paid features would simply stop being available at the end of the trial period.

The documentation does include a breakdown of the resources if anyone wants to calculate likely costs. If you accept all the defaults it is expected to cost between $25 and $30 a day. However if you change instance sizes or use a different region, it can be significantly more than that, so be sure to check Amazon's current pricing for the relevant resources. The documentation also includes details on how to correctly pause your instances without deleting them to reduce costs when the cluster is not in use:

http://www.cloudera.com/get-started/cloudera-live/aws-documentation.html

Explorer

Sean,

it's not enough not to say that the tutorial is free. It's necessary to say that it's not free, and that's the costs are, to put it mildly, very substantial. And it needs to say it in huge block letters. 

Of course the main culprit here is Amazon -- I cannot find an adequate term to describe their behavior, I think it borders fraud. Any service that positions itself as free (like AWS free tier) should be exactly that -- i.e. you should never be able to accidentally incur any charges, otherwise it's not a free tier, it's a trap.

Still, even though for the most part it's AWS's fault, it's very sad that Cloudera cooperates with them on this.

Best regards,

Nikolay

New Contributor

Ok, it look as amazon is supportive in my situation and we are moving to a solution in my discussion with them.

Sean,

to complement to what karamul said, through my journey (which I describre below) on both Cloudera and AWS websites during registration, activation, configuration, it's not that the costs that I engaged came to me and we don't speak here about buying a book or game for 50$ but about engaging significant part of a person salary who is notified one month after.

I've been searching for big data tutorials/easy discovery process and saw accessible tutorials on your website (Get started) with an option of 60days trial. I had to register on cloudera and then apparently on AWS website which I did. I received a mail from AWS with following statement:

Welcome to Amazon Web Services,
You can get started by accessing the AWS Management Console, launching an Amazon EC2 Instance, or exploring popular software optimized for Amazon EC2 on AWS Marketplace. For the next 12 months, you will have free access to compute, storage, database, and application services. Learn more by visiting our Free Tier page.

I did a quick look in the clouderalive FAQ. Yes I saw that I was responsible for the AWS costs engaged.

Yes I could have checked further on AWS FAQ and compare AWS free tier coverage/set up against tutorial set up.

Now, between the 60 days trial statement from cloudera page and 1 year trial mail from AWS I concluded (too quikly apparently) that I was able to continue for 2 months for free.

Furthermore, the tutorial is providing easy instructions with screenshot, step by step approach on what exactly you need to do on AWS platform.

So indeed Cloudera is not responsile for the fact that we give our credit card to AWS and that we clicked with our account here or there on their platform and started consuming paying services. 

However, I find it a pity, with all the energy you've put on doing detailed step by step tutorial on AWS platform, that nowhere on cloudera or AWS page we are warned or asked for confirmation showing the costs engaged by desired action and the fact there is no free tier coverage anymore.

Cheers.

Highlighted

Explorer

Hi Simonico,

when did you open your case? I opened mine 3 days ago and so far there hasn't been any response from Amazon support... are there any ways to escalate? I noticed that my ticket was created with "low" priority, but I can't find a way to upgrade it.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Nikolay