Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

updating hive table when ACID is off

updating hive table when ACID is off

Explorer

Hello everyone ,

I have to update and maybe delete some rows in existing hive tables ( orc ) , unfortunately the update and delete operations are blocked by the datalake management team .

So , i would like to know if there is any way to do the update without direct acid operations

thx

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: updating hive table when ACID is off

Contributor

You can always create a new table based on a select that changes and removes the unwanted rows/data, and then rename the tables.

Highlighted

Explorer

thx berry , I'am doing this actually , but i was wondering if there is other "clean" solutions .

Highlighted

Hi @Réda, unfortunately without the "transactional=true" there is no means to perform insert, update, or deletes on a Hive table. The good news is in HDP 3.0 due out mid-year, ACID will be the default for all Hive tables.

Obviously, I'd also question why the data lake team is blocking transactions. Many customer will allow for transactional tables at the very least in a staging area to handle CDC operations.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here