Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

upgrading sentry database schema

Highlighted

upgrading sentry database schema

Explorer

Hi,

I have upgraded from CDH 5.1 to CDH 5.2 and need to upgrade the sentry database schema. This option however, is displaying in the cloudera manager. I looked at how to run this command via the command line with: bin/sentry --command schema-tool --conffile <sentry-site.xml> --dbType <db-type> --upgradeSchema

What is the difference between the sentry-site.xml and sentry-store-site.xml? I ran the schematool to use the sentry-store-site.xml since I am unable to find the sentry-site.xml file. When I ran the tool I received the following error org.apache.sentry.SentryUserException: Failed to get schema version.

When I try to start sentry service I receive the following error: 

2015-01-19 10:47:52,790 INFO org.apache.sentry.service.thrift.SentryService: Waiting on future.get()
2015-01-19 10:47:53,207 INFO DataNucleus.Persistence: Property datanucleus.cache.level2 unknown - will be ignored
2015-01-19 10:47:53,537 WARN com.jolbox.bonecp.BoneCPConfig: Max Connections < 1. Setting to 20
2015-01-19 10:47:54,639 WARN com.jolbox.bonecp.BoneCPConfig: Max Connections < 1. Setting to 20
2015-01-19 10:47:54,767 ERROR org.apache.sentry.service.thrift.SentryService: Error starting server
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Could not create org.apache.sentry.provider.db.service.thrift.SentryPolicyStoreProcessorFactory
	at org.apache.sentry.service.thrift.SentryService.runServer(SentryService.java:189)
	at org.apache.sentry.service.thrift.SentryService.call(SentryService.java:155)
	at org.apache.sentry.service.thrift.SentryService.call(SentryService.java:67)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:262)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: org.apache.sentry.provider.db.SentryAccessDeniedException: The Sentry store schema version 1.4.0 is different from distribution version 1.4.0-cdh5
	at org.apache.sentry.provider.db.service.persistent.SentryStore.verifySentryStoreSchema(SentryStore.java:150)
	at org.apache.sentry.provider.db.service.persistent.SentryStore.<init>(SentryStore.java:137)
	at org.apache.sentry.provider.db.service.thrift.SentryPolicyStoreProcessor.<init>(SentryPolicyStoreProcessor.java:77)
	at org.apache.sentry.provider.db.service.thrift.SentryPolicyStoreProcessorFactory.register(SentryPolicyStoreProcessorFactory.java:31)
	at org.apache.sentry.service.thrift.SentryService.runServer(SentryService.java:187)
	... 6 more
2015-01-19 10:47:54,774 INFO org.apache.sentry.service.thrift.SentryService: ShutdownHook shutting down server
3 REPLIES 3

Re: upgrading sentry database schema

New Contributor

Did you ever get a responsee, or find a fix for this issue?

I seem to have the same issue, when moving from CDH5.11 -> 5.13

Caused by: org.apache.sentry.provider.db.SentryAccessDeniedException: The Sentry store schema version 1.5.0-cdh5 is different from distribution version 1.5.0

New Contributor
Quick workaround found.
We found the field in the database that was causing the error, and updated it from '1.5.0-cdh' to '1.5.0' and sentry started without issue.
Whether this is a good idea will only be found after more testing.

New Contributor

Faced same issue while upgrading CDH 5.11 to 5.15. 

solution -

1. goto Sentry -> Actions -> Upgrade Sentry Database Tables 

2. goto sentry -> Actions -> Deploy Client Configuration.

3. Start Sentry

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here