Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

when tried to bring up new NiFi cluster, received error: The specified run.as user was BLANK does not exist. Exiting.

when tried to bring up new NiFi cluster, received error: The specified run.as user was BLANK does not exist. Exiting.

Contributor

Hello,

Had coded in the bootstrap.conf file value of run.as=nifi in each of the slave nodes and in the NCM node, in a new NiFi Clustered using embedded ZooKeeper (non-secure) configuration.

Received this error string when tried to issue following command:

[root@xxxxxxxx conf]# service hdf start

nifi.sh: JAVA_HOME not set; results may vary

The specified run.as user was BLANK does not exist. Exiting.

[root@xxxxxxxx conf]#

So this error string saying that run.as is 'blank' doesn't make sense to me since I defined the nifi user for run.as in all 4 of the nodes.

Then tried to remove value of nifi, from this string: run.as= , in all the nodes in the cluster and ran same START command again, received same exact error.

Is there something else I should be checking? I have looked in various log files in the LOGS directory, not seeing anything at the moment that is giving me clues about this error.

Thanks for any ideas. tips or points in the right direction.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: when tried to bring up new NiFi cluster, received error: The specified run.as user was BLANK does not exist. Exiting.

Master Guru

Hello PJ,

What version of NiFi are your running and did you create a local user "nifi" on each of your systems?

Thanks,

Matt

Re: when tried to bring up new NiFi cluster, received error: The specified run.as user was BLANK does not exist. Exiting.

Contributor

Hi Matt,

We are running the latest version of NiFi from Hortonworks... the nifi.properties file says:

# Core Properties #

nifi.version=0.6.0.1.2.0.1-1

Here is the nifi user information, which was created on each node (by my peer):

nifi:x:789:789::/home/nifi:/bin/bash

Thank you.

Master Guru

PJ,

I assume the message you are seeing is:

"The specified run.as user does not exist. Exiting."

What this indicates is that the run.as= field in the bootstrap.conf file is not empty but rather has a one or more spaces. ("run.as= " instead of "run.as=")

Also make sure that when you configured it for user nifi that the run.as field was actually "run.as=nifi" and not "run.as=nifi ". Spaces are valid characters.

There is an open Apache NiFi Jira that covers this bug: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-915

Thanks,

Matt

Contributor

Thank very much Matt, I thought I had removed all spaces when defining this command, but let me give this a try again.

Will report back asap.

Maybe I should also ask/mention... when I am adding comments to these configuration files, I am starting the string with a '#' sign and based on examples in the code, ending the comment with a '#' sign i.e.

# Changed on May 30 2016 #

# This a an example of a comment I am putting in front of run.as=nifi command #

run.as=nifi

Is there any chance this could be causing issues with spaces?

Sometimes I have been doing cut and pastes from MS Word documents for long strings of characters and have noticed that when I paste the string into the bash Terminal session, it seems to add a space at the end. I have been taking out the extra spaces whenever I see this happening with the cut and pastes too.

Thanks again, I just can't say thank you enough.

Pam

Highlighted

Contributor

Oh and technically the error message was exactly as I originally posted it:

The specified run.as user was BLANK does not exist. Exiting.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here