Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

why "Create a CDH Cluster on Amazon EC2 via CM" is not recommanded for production?

New Contributor

There is a note in the document saying "This setup is not recommended for production use."

Can anybody tell me why? and what's the best way to deploy an CDH cluster for production then?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: why "Create a CDH Cluster on Amazon EC2 via CM" is not recommanded for production?

Master Collaborator

Nick.Hadoop,

You're correct; that blog post is a bit out of date. We'll take care of that.

I recommend that you refer to the formal doc on this subject:

http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/CM4Ent/latest/Cloudera-Manager-Instal...

Re: why "Create a CDH Cluster on Amazon EC2 via CM" is not recommanded for production?

New Contributor

Hi jkestelyn, I wonder the same thing about this advice of "not for production".

The link you posted, has the same advice in there. 

Can you please review this and point us to a doc explaining what would be a good setup (if exists) for production use on EC2?

Thanks in advance.

Leo

Master Collaborator

The doc I posted in this thread is the most current info (now updated for CM 5):

http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/CM5/latest/Cloudera-Manager-Installat...

New Contributor

I'm glad you replied promptly but it's frustrating not knowing why Cloudera says that setup is not recommended for production use. I mean, if you put a Note in a document saying it's not recommended for prod, then you should have a reason for that.

Thanks

Master Collaborator

Well, there is a link to the doc at the top of the post.

I understand your frustration, but please note that a blog post is not the same thing as documentation -- many blog posts contain advice about doing things specifically for testing/dev purposes (not production).

That said - point taken that we need to strive to provide the best instructions possible. Please stand by for more of those!

Contributor

I have the same question.Can I install the cdh5 on ec2 for production use?