Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

yarm RM and NM on same node

Highlighted

yarm RM and NM on same node

Contributor

Hi All,

Is it suggested to have both the Resource Manager and Node Manager on the same nodes? Cluster is with 51 nodes and each node is 512Gb of memory. 

Thanks,

Raghu.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: yarm RM and NM on same node

Expert Contributor

Hi @raghu9raghavend ,

Here is a reference to a topological layout of Cloudera roles:

https://docs.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/latest/topics/cm_ig_host_allocations.html#concept...

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve

Highlighted

Contributor

Thanks @StevenOD. we have a similar layout. But more jobs are adding to the cluster every day, as a result, there are some resource constraints. we are not expanding the cluster this year, hence searching for other routes like adding NM on top of RM and NN. Is it good to add NM on the Master nodes where NN and RM are hosted?

Thanks,

Raghu. 

Highlighted

Expert Contributor

Hi @raghu9raghavend ,

I wouldn't recommend putting the node manager on the master nodes. You want the node managers to run where the data are stored. So putting the node manager on the master nodes implies that you would also be using the master nodes as data nodes. Ideally, you want to isolate the master nodes and services that manage the platform out from where the computation and processing are happening i.e. the data nodes.

Regards,

Steve

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here