Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

[CDH 5.3] Hue uses wrong user to run query?

Explorer

Hey,

I've just set up an env of CDH 5.3 [from CM 5.3] and wanted to check some things with Hive. So i tried to use Hue to do it and I got this error:

Error while compiling statement: FAILED: RuntimeException Cannot create staging directory 'hdfs://h1.t.pl:8020/jobs/input/customer/.hive-staging_hive_2014-12-30_21-48-01_539_4882491936626833078-1': Permission denied: user=admin, access=WRITE, inode="/jobs/input/customer":hdfs:supergroup:drwxrwxr-x 
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.DefaultAuthorizationProvider.checkFsPermission(DefaultAuthorizationProvider.java:257)

admin is an user i'm logged into hue webui - default user created with install of cloudera manager.

Is it configuration issue?

[edit]

tables were created from external files using query run through hue:

create external table customer (
  C_CUSTKEY int,
  C_NAME string,
  C_ADDRESS string,
  C_NATIONKEY int,
  C_PHONE string,
  C_ACCTBAL decimal(10,2),
  C_MKTSEGMENT string,
  C_COMMENT string
)
row format delimited fields terminated by '|' stored as textfile
location '/jobs/input/customer';

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Explorer

Well, so my problem was kind'a linux related I guess., with file permissions I had 2 logical partitions which were mounted at / and /home. By default I had dir /dfs on / partition and when i was low with storage space i decided to create a new directory for dfs under /home. Of course I've made chown to hdfs user for this folder (as is for /dfs) but it gave me error from the first post.

After I resized partition size and left only one dir /dfs as a storage point for hdfs on node everything worked out fine.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Super Guru
You seem to have a custom mapreduce.jobtracker.staging.root.dir:
/jobs/input/customer

It means only 'hdfs' user can submit jobs. You could change it to 777
permissions. I think there is also a way to have one by user.

Romain

Explorer

Well, so my problem was kind'a linux related I guess., with file permissions I had 2 logical partitions which were mounted at / and /home. By default I had dir /dfs on / partition and when i was low with storage space i decided to create a new directory for dfs under /home. Of course I've made chown to hdfs user for this folder (as is for /dfs) but it gave me error from the first post.

After I resized partition size and left only one dir /dfs as a storage point for hdfs on node everything worked out fine.

Super Guru
Thanks for reporting your solution!

Explorer

Yeah, I always try to do that because I personally hate when I find a similar problem to mine and only a reply from the author that he managed to resolve that already but doesn't explain how xP

regards,

ive