Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to configure HUE for access without proxy

New Contributor

I am running a cluster with HUE installed and want to allow external users to access HUE without having to install a proxy. Just to be clear, this is not for a production environment. It is for training purposes only. Essentially, I want to do something similar to GetHUE demo site. I would appreciate any help you can provide on how to accomplish this.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Tony Piazza

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

Thanks for the background.

When you say "All of the examples I have seen of using HUE..", what examples are those?  I have never seen those instructions, so perhaps they are specific to some sort of network or VM configuration.  An SSH tunnel or reverse proxy is only required if your network requires it.  Otherwise Hue just listens on a port.  As long as the host:port are accessible on the network, you don't need anything fancy.

Cheers,

Ben

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Master Guru

Hi @tonypiazza,

Could you clarify a bit more regarding the need of a proxy?  Hue does not require a proxy, so are you talking about something else on your network and accessing it in a particular type of network configuraiton?

Regards,

Ben

New Contributor

Ben,

Thanks for your fast reply! All of the examples I have seen of using HUE go through the process of setting up a SSH tunnel and proxy so they can access it. My goal is to make it as easy as possible for students to use HUE without the extra work/hassle of setting up a proxy. If we can configure HUE to be accessible without the tunnel/proxy, please point me to the appropriate docs on how to do that.

Thanks again,

-Tony

New Contributor

Ben,

Just to be clear, I want my users to be able to access HUE running on my cluster the same way you can access the HUE demo site: http://demo.gethue.com/

Thanks again!

-Tony

Master Guru

Thanks for the background.

When you say "All of the examples I have seen of using HUE..", what examples are those?  I have never seen those instructions, so perhaps they are specific to some sort of network or VM configuration.  An SSH tunnel or reverse proxy is only required if your network requires it.  Otherwise Hue just listens on a port.  As long as the host:port are accessible on the network, you don't need anything fancy.

Cheers,

Ben

Super Guru
PS: how we setup demo.gethue.com http://gethue.com/hadoop-
tutorial-how-to-create-a-real-hadoop-cluster-in-10-minutes/