Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Rename failed: /user/demo/movies.csv -> /user/demo/.scratchdir

New Contributor

Hi All, I am getting this error while creating the table from the file. Anyone knows what is the reason. Rename failed: /user/demo/movies.csv -> /user/demo/.scratchdir

7 REPLIES 7

Guru

Hi @gunjan ,

Could you please share the versions of Hue you are using? Are you using upstream version or the vesion comes with CDH?

Thanks,

Li

Li Wang, Technical Solution Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum

Guru

Hi @gunjan ,

There is a new feature added in Hue latest version which it moves the source file to create table to a .scratchdir to handle moving file easily. However, if the create table fails, then there are files in .scratchdir left behind and future create tables fails. We have opened an internal jira to handle this in a better way.

Could you please remove the .scratchdir and try again as a workaround?

Thanks,

Li

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum

Explorer

Is there a resolution to this?

I'm having the same issue with CDH 6.2 when trying to create an index from file in Hue.

I've placed a .csv file on my user area - going through the wizard, on the Hue 'Importer' I hit submit - it actually successfully creates the table but I get the 'Rename failed: .... .scratchdir' error, and the page doesn't progress.

I have tried deleting the .scratchdir and, separately, giving fully open permissions to the .scratchdir, I'm not having success with either.

New Contributor

I'm having the same issue with CDH 6.3.

Explorer

Guru

Hi @bradybian ,

FYI, there is an external Hue jira ticket related to this topic which you can follow:

https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/HUE-8910

Have you tried either remove .scratchdir as a workaround or as suggested in earlier post referring to the knowledge article "Loading Data from Files into Tables | HiveServer2 and Sentry"?

Thanks,

Li 

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum

Explorer

Running CDH 6.3.x. The workarounds with removed .scratchdir or referred in https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/HUE-8910 (added random UUID to directory name i.e. .scratchdir.<UUID>) do not solve the problem. Unfortunately do not have access to the knowledge base.

Hence how to solve the problem?