Welcome to the Cloudera Community

Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Who agreed with this topic

Memory Overcommit Validation Threshold

New Contributor

I setup a test environment built from VMs so I can test the process of upgrading from cloudera 4.8 to 5.3. The 4.8 installation was barebones with no configuration changes made by me. It was as cloudera configured it! The upgrade of the cloudera manager went smooth except that all the nodes came up with the Memory Overcommit Validation Threshold configuration error.

I built the VMs with 16GB of ram and with that I was told that I had committed 25GB. I decided that the easy solution was to increase the amount of physical ram to 32GB. When I did that I still got the error but now was being told that I was committed to 50GB of ram.

I was given the ability to change a single variable that could accept a number from 0 to 1. I tried 0 and I tried 1 and several numbers in between but it had no affect that I could see. Am I safe in ignoring this warning/error? I can't open a support case since this test environment is a short term test running on a 60day license and has not support. If I do the upgrade in an actual supported environment will the configuration be stable until I get help from cloudera support??

At this point in time I have no confidence in being able to perform the upgrade!!

Who agreed with this topic