Welcome to the Cloudera Community

Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Who agreed with this topic

Cloudera Quickstart VM 5.5 failed to boot on VirtualBox 5.0.14

Explorer

I'm new to Hadoop development. My environment is primarily Windows-based. After days of trials-and-errors, I was finally able to get Hadoop compiled without errors and got it up and running. But, with so many other Linux-based components in Hadoop ecosystem I don't want to be distracted further so I decided to try Cloudera QuickStart.

I followed these two YouTube TOIs:

Virtual Box and Cloudera Quickstart VM Installation Tutorial   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeCtjd86YXo

Installing Cloudera VM on VirtualBox on Windows    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0lPPC5qeyU

But, not sure why it was so challenging for me?! I just couldn't bring up Cloudera CDH 5.5 on VirtualBox 5.0.14 on my Windows 7 workstation (64-bit). My desktop is a LENOVO 30AGS01Y00 w/ 1 Intel64 CPU, 16GB RAM and 1TB of HDD. The detail OS version: Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601.

After installing VirtualBox and unzip Cloudera QuickStart VM 5.5, I created my VM with Red Hat (64-bit), Memory Size: 8,192MB and the "Use an existing virtual hard disk file" option to point to the vmdk file of the Cloudera quickstart for virtual box file. After the VM was created I adjusted its settings, as recommended, such as "Shared Clipboard", "DragnDrop", "Boot Order" (leave Hard Disk only).

The chipset setting was PIIX3 by default. It made no difference when I tried both PIIX3 and ICH9.

I left Processor as 1 CPU because my desktop has only 1 physical CPU even though its VT-x and physical HyperThreading were enabled. Nested Paging was also enabled.

The Storage of the Cloudera VM was created with SATA and Type: AHCI. The rest of settings remained no change (as default).

When I tried to boot the VM my VM screen looked exactly the same as depicted in this question:

Virtual machine “Cloudera quick start” not booting Virtual machine "Cloudera quick start" not booting

I've been goolging this issues for about a week. The above question is the closest case I could find on the web. I tried a variety of VM settings but no luck. Not sure what the root cause is.

I tried to fall back to Cloudera QuickStart VM 5.4.2. No luck either. Your advice is highly appreciated!!

I have the logs available. Some key events in VBox and VboxHardening logs were excerpted as follows:

Vbox.log:

00:00:02.535619 VMSetError: F:\tinderbox\win-5.0\src\VBox\Storage\VD.cpp(6410) int __cdecl VDOpen(struct VBOXHDD *,const char *,const char *,unsigned int,struct VDINTERFACE *); rc=VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED * Note: I don't know what F: drive is. There is no F: drive on my desktop.

00:00:02.520998 AIOMgr: Endpoint for file 'C:\CDH_5.4.2\cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.4.2-0-virtualbox-disk1.vmdk' (flags 000c0781) created successfully

00:00:02.535626 VMSetError: VD: error VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED opening image file 'C:\CDH_5.4.2\cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.4.2-0-virtualbox-disk1.vmdk'

00:00:02.567924 AIOMgr: Preparing flush failed with VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED, disabling async flushes

VBoxHardening.log:

62a4.318: NtOpenDirectoryObject failed on \Driver: 0xc0000022

By the way, after days of blindly trials and errors, I followed someone's advice and was able to "Import" the .ovf file and get the QuickStart VM up and running in the VirtualBox. It's even more convenient. But still, why can't CDH 5.5 boot from VirtualBox 5.0.14? It'd be good to know what I may be missing by learning the root cause.

Thanks!

-jsung8

Who agreed with this topic