Welcome to the Cloudera Community

Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Who agreed with this topic

Upgrading CDH 5.6 to use Hive 1.2.0

New Contributor

Hi all,

I am currently trying out the latest CDH 5.6 build. This build comes with hive 1.1.0. When I tried to create a table in hive using parquet format, the error message showed that hive 1.1 does not support date format in parquet yet. it was added in 1.2.0. I can use timestamp but when I expose the table to tableau through impala using cloudera impala odbc driver, the driver is trying to convert timestamp to date in the BI queries and failing. timestamp to date is an invalid cast in impala. (for another discussion though, i think, is that those queries actually do not have to be type casted to date to get the desired results but the driver tries it).  This issue restricts any continuous analysis on date columns in tablueau. So, I decided to use date column in the underlying hive table and stuck with this question of upgrading. Can I upgrade from hive 1.1.0 to 1.2.0 in CDH 5.6? Have anyone done this ? Can you give some pointers on how to do this? I Is there any known issue that I need to be aware of. I was doing a lot of search to gather information. Havent got much yet. I was going to make a build form source and replace all the hive jars under the cloudera/parcels/hive with the new ones.Just wanted to see if anyone knows more before I start with the upgrade and get stuck with a roadblock. Thank you!

Who agreed with this topic