Community Articles

Find and share helpful community-sourced technical articles.
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!
Master Guru

This tutorial has been successfully tried on HDP-2.4.0.0 and Ambari 2.2.1.0

I have my HDP Cluster Kerberized and Ambari has been configured for SSL.

Note - Steps are same for Ambari with or without SSL.

Please follow below steps for Configuring Hive View on Kerberized HDP Cluster.

Step 1 - Please configure your Ambari Server for Kerberos with the steps mentioned in below article. Please follow steps 1 to 5.

https://community.hortonworks.com/articles/40635/configure-tez-view-for-kerberized-hdp-cluster.html

Step 2 - Please add below properties to core-site.xml via Ambari UI and restart required services.

Note - If you are running Ambari Server as root user then add below properties

hadoop.proxyuser.root.groups=*
hadoop.proxyuser.root.hosts=*

If you are running Ambari server as non-root user then please add below properties in core-site.xml

hadoop.proxyuser.<ambari-server-user>.groups=*
hadoop.proxyuser.<ambari-server-user>.hosts=*

Please replace <ambari-server-user> with user running Ambari Server in above example.

I'm assuming that your ambari server principal is ambari-server@REALM.COM, if not then please replace 'ambari-server' with your principal's user part.

hadoop.proxyuser.ambari-server.groups=*
hadoop.proxyuser.ambari-server.hosts=*

Step 3 - Create user directory on hdfs for the user accessing hive view. For e.g. in my case I'm using admin user to access hive view.

sudo -u hdfs hadoop fs -mkdir /user/admin 
sudo -u hdfs hadoop fs -chown admin:hdfs /user/admin
sudo -u hdfs hadoop fs -chmod 755 /user/admin

Step 4 - Goto Admin tab --> Click on Manage Ambari --> Views --> Edit Hive view ( Create a new one if it doesn't exist already ) and configure settings as given below

Note - You may need to modify values as per your environment settings!

5110-screen-shot-2016-06-19-at-93741-pm.png

5121-screen-shot-2016-06-19-at-93824-pm.png

After above steps, you should be able to access your hive view without any issues. If you receive any error(s) then please check /var/log/ambari-server/ambari-server.log for more details and troubleshooting.

5122-screen-shot-2016-06-19-at-94111-pm.png

Please comment if you have any feedback/questions/suggestions. Happy Hadooping!! :)

Comments
New Contributor

I also needed to follow the instructions here: https://community.hortonworks.com/answers/35075/view.html

New Contributor

The screen shot is out of date? I have Ambari 2.4.2 and they are different. I have tried to configure as close to you steps as I can, I got "Service Hive check failed: Server Error"

Version history
Last update:
‎09-16-2022 01:35 AM
Updated by:
Contributors