Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Ambari-Metrics collector not starting

Expert Contributor

When I start ambari-metrics collector, there is no error in starting but it never starts. When I checked the log file, below is what I see:

Value of zookeper.znode.parent is: /hbase-unsecure

retries=35, started=229269 ms ago, cancelled=false, msg=
2016-02-09 19:39:15,043 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation: The node /hbase is not in ZooKeeper. It should have been written by the master. Check the value configured in 'zookeeper.znode.parent'. There could be a mismatch with the one configured in the master.
2016-02-09 19:39:15,043 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RpcRetryingCaller: Call exception, tries=20, retries=35, started=249286 ms ago, cancelled=false, msg=
2016-02-09 19:39:35,080 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation: The node /hbase is not in ZooKeeper. It should have been written by the master. Check the value configured in 'zookeeper.znode.parent'. There could be a mismatch with the one configured in the master.
2016-02-09 19:39:35,081 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RpcRetryingCaller: Call exception, tries=21, retries=35, started=269324 ms ago, cancelled=false, msg=
2016-02-09 19:39:55,151 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation: The node /hbase is not in ZooKeeper. It should have been written by the master. Check the value configured in 'zookeeper.znode.parent'. There could be a mismatch with the one configured in the master.
2016-02-09 19:39:55,152 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RpcRetryingCaller: Call exception, tries=22, retries=35, started=289395 ms ago, cancelled=false, msg=
2016-02-09 19:40:15,192 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation: The node /hbase is not in ZooKeeper. It should have been written by the master. Check the value configured in 'zookeeper.znode.parent'. There could be a mismatch with the one configured in the master.
2016-02-09 19:40:15,193 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RpcRetryingCaller: Call exception, tries=23, retries=35, started=309436 ms ago, cancelled=false, msg=
2016-02-09 19:40:35,275 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation: The node /hbase is not in ZooKeeper. It should have been written by the master. Check the value configured in 'zookeeper.znode.parent'. There could be a mismatch with the one configured in the master.
2016-02-09 19:40:35,276 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RpcRetryingCaller: Call exception, tries=24, retries=35, started=329519 ms ago, cancelled=false, msg=
2016-02-09 19:40:55,283 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation: The node /hbase is not in ZooKeeper. It should have been written by the master. Check the value configured in 'zookeeper.znode.parent'. There could be a mismatch with the one configured in the master.
2016-02-09 19:40:55,283 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RpcRetryingCaller: Call exception, tries=25, retries=35, started=349526 ms ago, cancelled=false, msg=
2016-02-09 19:41:15,437 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation: The node /hbase is not in ZooKeeper. It should have been written by the master. Check the value configured in 'zookeeper.znode.parent'. There could be a mismatch with the one configured in the master.
2016-02-09 19:41:15,437 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RpcRetryingCaller: Call exception, tries=26, retries=35, started=369680 ms ago, cancelled=false, msg=
2016-02-09 19:41:35,604 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation: The node /hbase is not in ZooKeeper. It should have been written by the master. Check the value configured in 'zookeeper.znode.parent'. There could be a mismatch with the one configured in the master.
2016-02-09 19:41:35,604 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RpcRetryingCaller: Call exception, tries=27, retries=35, started=389847 ms ago, cancelled=false, msg=
2016-02-09 19:41:55,633 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation: The node /hbase is not in ZooKeeper. It should have been written by the master. Check the value configured in 'zookeeper.znode.parent'. There could be a mismatch with the one configured in the master.
2016-02-09 19:41:55,635 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RpcRetryingCaller: Call exception, tries=28, retries=35, started=409878 ms ago, cancelled=false, msg=
2016-02-09 19:42:15,646 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation: The node /hbase is not in ZooKeeper. It should have been written by the master. Check the value configured in 'zookeeper.znode.parent'. There could be a mismatch with the one configured in the master.
2016-02-09 19:42:15,646 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RpcRetryingCaller: Call exception, tries=29, retries=35, started=429889 ms ago, cancelled=false, msg=
2016-02-09 19:42:35,841 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation: The node /hbase is not in ZooKeeper. It should have been written by the master. Check the value configured in 'zookeeper.znode.parent'. There could be a mismatch with the one configured in the master.
2016-02-09 19:42:35,841 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RpcRetryingCaller: Call exception, tries=30, retries=35, started=450084 ms ago, cancelled=false, msg=
2016-02-09 19:42:56,032 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation: The node /hbase is not in ZooKeeper. It should have been written by the master. Check the value configured in 'zookeeper.znode.parent'. There could be a mismatch with the one configured in the master.
2016-02-09 19:42:56,032 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RpcRetryingCaller: Call exception, tries=31, retries=35, started=470275 ms ago, cancelled=false, msg=
2016-02-09 19:43:16,088 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation: The node /hbase is not in ZooKeeper. It should have been written by the master. Check the value configured in 'zookeeper.znode.parent'. There could be a mismatch with the one configured in the master.
2016-02-09 19:43:16,088 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RpcRetryingCaller: Call exception, tries=32, retries=35, started=490331 ms ago, cancelled=false, msg=
2016-02-09 19:43:36,265 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation: The node /hbase is not in ZooKeeper. It should have been written by the master. Check the value configured in 'zookeeper.znode.parent'. There could be a mismatch with the one configured in the master.
2016-02-09 19:43:36,265 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RpcRetryingCaller: Call exception, tries=33, retries=35, started=510508 ms ago, cancelled=false, msg=

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

I could finally solve it by combining some of the steps mentioned above.

I first checked what is the value of `zookeeper.znode.parent` in HBase. I tried setting that same value in Ambari, but that did not work because some of the metrics processes were already running on that machine. So, i had to `ps -ef | grep metrics` and kill all of them as they were caching the `/hbase` value.

Watch the ambari metrics collector logs ( /var/log/ambari-metrics-collector/ambari-metrics-collector.log) while you do the below steps

Steps:

0. tail -f /var/log/ambari-metrics-collector/ambari-metrics-collector.log

1. Stop Ambari

2. Kill all the metrics processes

3. curl --user admin:admin -i -H "X-Requested-By: ambari" -X DELETE http://`hostname -f`:8080/api/v1/clusters/CLUSTERNAME/services/AMBARI_METRICS

=> Make sure you replace CLUSTERNAME with your cluster name

4. Refresh Ambari UI

5. Add Service

6. Select Ambari Metrics

7. In the configuration screen, make sure to set the value of `zookeeper.znode.parent` to what is configured in the HBase service. By default in Ambari Metrics it is set to empty value.

8. Deploy

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

Master Mentor
@Prakash Punj

Try

curl --user admin:admin -i -H "X-Requested-By: ambari" -X DELETE http://`hostname -f`:8080/api/v1/clusters/CLUSTERNAME/services/AMBARI_METRICS

for example: I used this for sandbox

curl --user admin:admin -i -H "X-Requested-By: ambari" -X DELETE http://`hostname -f`:8080/api/v1/clusters/Sandbox/services/AMBARI_METRICS

Master Mentor

@Prakash Punj Once done then refresh browser and you can add AMS again

AMS added again

2086-screen-shot-2016-02-12-at-53312-pm.png

Master Guru

@Prakash Punj There are a few mis-configs in your setting

hbase.rootdir  --hdfs://hdp-m.samitsolutions.com:8020/apps/hbase/data  
hbase.cluster.distributed  -  TRUE  
Metrics service operation mode - embedded  
hbase.zookeeper.property.clientPort  --2181  
hbase.zookeeper.quorum --- hdp-m.samitsolutions.com

If you run AMS in embedded mode then hbase.cluster.distributed should be false, and hbase.rootdir set to a local directory using the "file://" scheme. If you prefer distributed mode then timeline.metrics.service.operation.mode should be "distributed". In either case, for AMS HBase AMS runs its own instance of ZooKeeper which by default listens on port 61181. It looks like your are trying to use ZooKeeper of the cluster instead. My recommendetion: Switch to the "embedded" mode (unless your cluster has hundreds of nodes), and the default AMS ZK on port 61181.

Contributor

I could finally solve it by combining some of the steps mentioned above.

I first checked what is the value of `zookeeper.znode.parent` in HBase. I tried setting that same value in Ambari, but that did not work because some of the metrics processes were already running on that machine. So, i had to `ps -ef | grep metrics` and kill all of them as they were caching the `/hbase` value.

Watch the ambari metrics collector logs ( /var/log/ambari-metrics-collector/ambari-metrics-collector.log) while you do the below steps

Steps:

0. tail -f /var/log/ambari-metrics-collector/ambari-metrics-collector.log

1. Stop Ambari

2. Kill all the metrics processes

3. curl --user admin:admin -i -H "X-Requested-By: ambari" -X DELETE http://`hostname -f`:8080/api/v1/clusters/CLUSTERNAME/services/AMBARI_METRICS

=> Make sure you replace CLUSTERNAME with your cluster name

4. Refresh Ambari UI

5. Add Service

6. Select Ambari Metrics

7. In the configuration screen, make sure to set the value of `zookeeper.znode.parent` to what is configured in the HBase service. By default in Ambari Metrics it is set to empty value.

8. Deploy

New Contributor

Thank you.

I had followed all steps before without any success except for 'zookeeper.znode.parent' part.

Metrics are now up and running!

Version 2.1.1

New Contributor

This solved a similar issue of mine. Didn't have to change anything about the zookeeper settings but the re-install as described here did the trick. Thank you.

New Contributor

I had a similar problem and moved the metrics collector to another server via Ambari Gui and my problem got fixed.

New Contributor

Ran into a similar issue; collector would start and later die. This was after it had been moved to distributed and was running fine for some time. it was saying:

org.apache.hadoop.hbase.MasterNotRunningException: java.io.IOException: Can't get master address from ZooKeeper; znode data == null Caused by: java.io.IOException: Can't get master address from ZooKeeper; znode data == null

however the issue was that hbase.rootdir was not HA aware. Once this was set to the nameservice it was fine. The issue evidently appeared when the namenode switched. Anyway, thought I would note this in case someone else ran into it.

New Contributor

A. Run Ambari Metrics in Distributed Mode rather than embedded If you are running with more than 3 nodes, I strongly suggest running in distributed mode and writing hbase.root.dir contents to hdfs directly, rather than to the local disk of a single node. This applies to already installed and running IOP clusters.

1. In the Ambari Web UI, select the Ambari Metrics service and navigate to Configs. Update the following properties:
    • General > Metrics Service operation mode=distributed ams_performance_tuning_A11
    • Advanced ams-hbase-site > hbase.cluster.distributed=true ams_performance_tuning_A13
    • Advanced ams-hbase-site > hbase.root.dir=hdfs://namenode.fqdn.example.org:8020/amshbase ams_performance_tuning_A12
  2. Restart Metrics Collector and affected Metrics monitors

Expert Contributor

@Jonas I'm facing kerberos error after restart of metrics collector. it was working fine for sometime after the kerberos implementation. I do see a valid key for ams id (and it's an application id so it should renew on its own).

ERROR: 2016-07-29 12:34:15,212 WARN [TGT Renewer for amshbase/ip@example.COM] security.UserGroupInformation: Exception encountered while running the renewal command. Aborting renew thread. ExitCodeException exitCode=1: kinit: Ticket expired while renewing credentials

hbase.regionserver.kerberos.principal - hbase/_HOST@example.COM

hbase.master.kerberos.principal - hbase/_HOST@example.COM

hbase.rootdir - hdfs://<hostname>/user/ams/hbase

hbase.cluster.distributed - TRUE

Metrics service operation mode - distributed

hbase.zookeeper.property.clientPort - 2181

hbase.zookeeper.quorum - zknode1,zknode2,zknode3