Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Do I need to install Cloudera Manager (CDH) on all nodes when set up a CDH cluster?

Contributor

I have a cluster of 3 nodes (all brand new with centos7, no java, no MySQL, nothing at all). I'm following this official install guide to install CDH 6.2.0 on the first node (called node1). Everything was fine, but do I need to install everything in the guide the same way for node2 and node3?

I mean do I need to run 

sudo yum install cloudera-manager-daemons cloudera-manager-agent cloudera-manager-server

and 

sudo /opt/cloudera/cm/schema/scm_prepare_database.sh mysql scm scm

and all other commands in all 3 nodes?

The instruction is unclear. I read some article on the internet that said I only need to install "cloudera-manager-agent", "cloudera-manager-daemons" on all nodes, "cloudera-manager-server" only need to install on 1 node or something like that.

Which step should I execute on all nodes, and which step I only need to execute on 1 node? Or do I only need to install cdh on 1 node, then I use the Cloudera Manager UI website and add a new node, it will automatically install everything on that new node?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Collaborator

@quangbilly79 cloudera-manager-server, daemon and agent package needs to be installed in one node that will host your Cloudera Manager UI. Please refer to the Installation guide and follow the step by step procedure. 

You also need to setup the manager DB as you have mentioned above. Start the Manager and access UI. Once the Manager is accessible, you may add the other nodes by specifying the IP addresses as described here : https://docs.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/6/6.3/topics/install_software_cm_wizard.html 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Master Collaborator

@quangbilly79 cloudera-manager-server, daemon and agent package needs to be installed in one node that will host your Cloudera Manager UI. Please refer to the Installation guide and follow the step by step procedure. 

You also need to setup the manager DB as you have mentioned above. Start the Manager and access UI. Once the Manager is accessible, you may add the other nodes by specifying the IP addresses as described here : https://docs.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/6/6.3/topics/install_software_cm_wizard.html 

Contributor

I successfully installed it on 3 nodes. Normally you only need to install everything on 1 node (things like java, python you have to install on 3 nodes first of course). When go to the CM UI website, you can add another node and Cloudera will automatically install everything for you.

In case you want to install things manually. Install all 3 packages "cloudera-manager-daemons", "cloudera-manager-agent", "cloudera-manager-server" on your main node, and for other nodes only install 

"cloudera-manager-daemons" "cloudera-manager-agent" and start these agent services. After that, you will see that two nodes are "managed" on the CM UI, meaning that you can skip the "Install Agent" step (since you've already installed "cloudera-manager-agent" and start it)