Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HDP 2.4 Sandbox - How to check JVM size and how to allocate more memory for spark storage?

New Contributor

Hi,

I have downloaded HDP 2.4 sandbox for evaluation of new memory management. Below are the environment details

- Windows Desktop (64 bit) with 16 GB memory

- Oracle VM player

- HDP 2.4 (Sandbox)

I started the VM and checked the executors for Spark Thrift server (port 4040). The value for Storage Memory is 511.5 MB. That means total Java heap size is ~1GB.

Kindly let me know how can I increase the Java Heap size and setting for other dependent service/configuration.

Thanks,

Yogesh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru

increase spark.executor.memory to the desired and then adjust spark.memory.storageFraction value which is default .5 (with this default value .9*.5*executor memory will be used as storage memory)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Super Guru

increase spark.executor.memory to the desired and then adjust spark.memory.storageFraction value which is default .5 (with this default value .9*.5*executor memory will be used as storage memory)

New Contributor

Thanks Rajkumar for quick reply.

I have increased value for spark.executor.memory but not sure how to change value for spark.memory.storageFraction. Please suggest the location to find spark.memory.storageFraction.

Thanks,

Yoges

Super Guru

you can update this in conf/spark-env.sh file and also overwrite it with your job options like this

--conf spark.storage.memoryFraction=0.4

Example from the Spark doc page (http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/submitting-applications.html)

# Run on a Spark standalone cluster in cluster deploy mode with supervise
./bin/spark-submit \  
--class org.apache.spark.examples.SparkPi \  
--master spark://207.184.161.138:7077 \  
--deploy-mode cluster \  
--supervise \  
--executor-memory 20G \  
--total-executor-cores 100 \  
/path/to/examples.jar \

executor-memory is what you want to adapt