Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HDP2.4 sandbox - no internet access (VirtualBox on Windows 8)

New Contributor

Just installed HDP2.4 for VirtualBox following tutorial. Windows 8.

All services tested seem to work fine. Network configuration seems correct from installation (NAT, correct port forwarding, etc.). But I cannot access internet from the sandbox.

I am connecting through a company LAN, so I suppose that may be the reason. I have no problem connecting from my local machine, with network configuration set to "automatically detect settings".

How could I connect to the internet from the sandbox (in order to install certain packages and particularly, install Alluxio)?

[root@sandbox alluxio-source]# ping google.com
ping: unknown host google.com

[root@sandbox alluxio-source]# ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr --- 
          inet addr:10.0.2.15  Bcast:10.0.2.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:77142 errors:5 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:68109 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:24638742 (23.4 MiB)  TX bytes:49910511 (47.5 MiB)
          Interrupt:19 Base address:0xd020

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:1662554 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:1662554 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:1788554842 (1.6 GiB)  TX bytes:1788554842 (1.6 GiB)

[root@sandbox alluxio-source]# yum -y groupinstall "Desktop" "Desktop Platform" "X Window System" "Fonts"
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities
Setting up Group Process
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=6&arch=x86_64&repo=os&infra=stock error was
14: PYCURL ERROR 6 - "Couldn't resolve host 'mirrorlist.centos.org'"
http://public-repo-1.hortonworks.com/HDP/centos6/2.x/updates/2.4.0.0/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] PYCURL ERROR 6 - "Couldn't resolve host 'public-repo-1.hortonworks.com'"
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: HDP-2.4. Please verify its path and try again

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

New Contributor

Hi Constantin,

I had tried both yesterday to no avail. I got worked it around, though.

Just in case is of use to anyone, it wasn't "internet access", but DNS name resolution where the problem was.

HDP comes with one nameserver only (8.8.8.8, Google's public nameserver) in /etc/resolv.conf. Just added the one closer to me (my company's) and it went through. I don't really know why Google's nameserver isn't reachable - probably some rule in my company's firewall.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Super Guru

@Diego Campo

Stop your VM and attempt the following Network Settings.

1) Use Attached to NAT

screen-shot-2016-09-05-at-103517-pm.png

• Enable Network Adapter and Cable Connected should be checked on for your Adapter.
  • Start your VM and test. If it does not work go to 2)

2) Use Attached to Bridged Adapter:

• Select the name of the internet adaptor you are currently using on your host machine.
  • Under Advanced, make sure the machine is using the Desktop Adaptor Type
  • Under Advanced, make sure Promiscuous Mode is set to Allow VMs
  • Under Advanced, make sure Cable connected is checked on
  • Hit OK to save your changes
  • Start your VM and test.

If any of the responses to your question addressed the problem don't forget to vote and accept the answer. If you fix the issue on your own, don't forget to post the answer to your own question. A moderator will review it and accept it.

New Contributor

Hi Constantin,

I had tried both yesterday to no avail. I got worked it around, though.

Just in case is of use to anyone, it wasn't "internet access", but DNS name resolution where the problem was.

HDP comes with one nameserver only (8.8.8.8, Google's public nameserver) in /etc/resolv.conf. Just added the one closer to me (my company's) and it went through. I don't really know why Google's nameserver isn't reachable - probably some rule in my company's firewall.

Hi Diego, Could you please explain how exactly you got your issue resolved. I am facing same issue and i am using my personal network (not company's)